Planted Tank Set Up Advice And Help Please

Pughie93

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hey everyone! Need some advice please! I’ve had my 90 Litre tank set up now for two years and I’ve decided to now go for a planted tank. I’ve currently got black gravel in the tank and have just gone and bought some light substrate and decided while I’m sorting the gravel out I might as well do a planted tank. exited! But I don’t really know where to start! What sort of aquarium soil will I need to plant into? Can I do this with the fish still in the tank and what are the best plants for a beginner. Any tips please I’d be very grateful. I’ve been wanting to do this for ages but been to scared to do it! Many thanks!

-Mak-

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
There is so much to know about setting up a planted tank that I recommend doing research for at least a month or two before you spend money on anything. Undoubtedly a few months into your planted tank experience you'll want different products, but research will save you a bit of that.

For research, I highly recommend watching all of George Farmer's setup videos and tutorials on Youtube. Dennis Wong, ADU Aquascaping, and The Green Machine are also good channels. They go into substrate/soils, how to plant, tools, lighting, fertilizer, and CO2.

I think my biggest piece of advice is you get what you pay for. Sometimes people want to cut corners with planted tanks, and in some instances it works out, but generally the quality stuff that gets you far is going to cost more. The planted tank hobby is not a cheap one

Pughie93

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thank you so much for your advice I’ll start looking into it and see how I get on! Many thanks

-Mak-

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Pughie93 said:
Thank you so much for your advice I’ll start looking into it and see how I get on! Many thanks
No problem! If you have more questions along the way many of us are happy to help

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom