Planted tank plan

1. Marc Well Known Member Member

Well, since I was setting up a cory and betta tank, and was going to put sand to not stress the fish, live plants as decoration and to help with the water... May as well plant it with lots of plants! :)

I was thinking of getting Java moss and making a 'mound' of it, like a small slope in one corner, almost like it's covering a rock. Then I could take some corkboard and plant some 'Hemianthus callitrichoides' - http://plantgeek.net/plant-275.htm to cover most of the bottom. I could then put chunks of driftwood as decoration/support for the plants. I also have a large 'hump' of wood that is about 4"x2.5"x2.5" and rounded, with a hole drilled through the middle and a few other holes drilled in. It has a bottom 'lip' which I can wedge down and hide, effectively making it look like a rock with a plant growing out of it :)

Anyways, I was going to get Java Moss, the Hemianthus, Java Fern, and sand for the bottom - maybe mixing in a small amount of gravel for decoration. I was also going to get a higher than normal watted hood, or if I can't, rig up an extra light source.

1. Are these plants normally available?
    2. What kind of sand should I get?
    3. Would this not work for some reason?

Any advice/suggestions/tips would be greatly appreciated!

2. Isabella Fishlore VIP Member

I have personally never seen java moss or java fern in my LFS. I will have to order them online. As for a good planting medium, there are plenty of substrates available for plants if you're willing to play with that. Sand is a good supportive medium for plants and can be mixed with other media. Sand alone, however, doesn't have any nutrients. If you use sand, you'll have to stir it about once a week to avoid compaction (compaction can produce toxic gases to accumulate under the substrate and once they're released they can kill your fish). Sand can be mixed with other planting media. Another good planting medium is an aquarium soil that can be used beneath a top layer of aquarium gravel (or perhaps sand). Soil is especially good because it is nutrient rich - and combined with good lighting, it could produce good plant growth. Other kinds of planting substrates are nutrient rich laterite clay media. Laterite can be mixed with other media as well.

3. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

If you want to use sand you can use pool filter sand it doesn't have to be washed/rinsed. Adding Malaysian trumpet snails to your tank will solve the compaction problem. The will keep the sand loose and eatleftover food. BUT.. you have to be careful not to overfeed and snails will usually multiply in proportion of food supplied.
    Carol

4. Jon Well Known Member Member

if u dont want snails could u just vacuum or stir up the sand every once in a while?