Planted Tank No Fish

1. AsianManJames Initiate Member

So I am going to go off to a boarding school where I come home every summer, but I still want to keep some living stuff as pets. However, I am a beginner to fish keeping so I thought having to bring the fish home every summer would be stressful for both me and the fish, so I thought I'd just have an aquarium with plants and no fish. I have several questions about this.
    I will use a 10 gallon tank with a soil substrate.
    1. Will I need a filter and a heater?
    2. What type of fertilizer will I need for the plants?
    3. What type of plants should I get? (preferably hardy plants I'm a beginner)
    4. How do I transport plants?

Thanks for reading
    (p.s. if there are any animals like shrimp or snails that eat algae but are easy to transport please tell me!)

2. bizaliz3 Fishlore VIP Member

Nerite snails are excellent algae eaters. I keep them in all my tanks :) The should have no trouble being transported.

3. AsianManJames Initiate Member

How do I move them? Sorry, I'm kind of a beginner to fish keeping and have never kept anything other than livebearers.

4. tokiodreamy Well Known Member Member

You can bag them! Or I like to grab some of those cups they keep bettas in. Just transported 2 of my mystery snails with one of those cups yesterday. Its nice because they have a pretty water tight lid and holes/punchout for airflow.

As far as hardy plants go:
    Java moss
    Java fern
    Anubias
    Marimo moss balls
    Hornwort
    I believe water sprite but i haven't kept it myself.

5. AsianManJames Initiate Member

Thanks for everything! I'll do some research so that I don't kill any plants or snails by mistake. ☺

Tags: