Planted tank lighting question...

freshwaternoobi

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
So I want to have a planted tank and I see I am going to have to find additional lighting to add to the 24" inch lighting hood I already have. I will be adding a 36" because I need to have at least 70- 80 watts of light for my plants. I have an acrylic tank so here comes the silly questions. With my original lighting that came with the tank I now learned because of the length I can only get 40 watts tops between the 2 24" bulbs. Can I add a light strip such as this to add the wattage? It looks pretty flat. My concern is is creating heat possibly damaging or melting my acrylic tank? I have this tank

and I want to add this light behind the already included light fixture. Can I do this with an acrylic tank, do the lights need a fixtre that sits higher up to prevent tank damage? Thanks

Thanks for all the help so far!

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I've never had an acrylic tank so I can't say for 100% certain but I don't think it would be a problem. T8 fixtures don't put out very much heat. Certainly not enough to affect a tank, acrylic or otherwise.

pepetj

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
You could upgrade by going with T5HO instead of T8. Either get a reasonable prized good quality fixture (I love Hagen Glo T5HO fixtures) with two 22" long 24W T5HO lamps. Or you could use your actual assembly and perform a DIY retrofit there.

To compensate the loss of light due to "less than optimal" reflection quality from your actual lamp assembly you could either purchase the reflectors or (this is my most used solution) paint the interior housing with as bright white spray paint as you can find or even compensate that loss by adding a third lamp (three 24W T5HO instead of two). Most of the times upgrading lighting implies dosing that tank with bio-available carbon, either from injected CO2 or Flourish Excel (or both).

If you go the DIY route, make sure the electronic ballast is suited to handle T5HO lamps in the number you plan to keep them.

Pepetj
Santo Domingo

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

I have moved your thread to the Lighting section of the forum.

Thanks!
Ken

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom