Planted Tank, Lighting Ok?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Brannor, Apr 23, 2018.

1. Brannor

BrannorValued MemberMember

Hi all.

Thanks to the helpful people in the Plants section, I now know what live plant I have. On my conquest to ensure their best growth and the demise of the staghorn algae I'm seeing appear, my next step is checking my lighting. :)

My tank is an Aqua One AquaStyle 980. (55G).
    It has T8 Tropical Florescent lighting. 2 x 30W and 1 x 25W.
    I've got the lighting (now, initially was on for 12 hours a day) set to 2 sessions of 4h, with 5h break in between (middle of the day).

For my tank, is that too little, or too much lighting in terms of timing, or intensity?

Usxb34e.jpg

2. DutchAquariumWell Known MemberMember

The problem isn't that you have too much light, it's that you don't have a limiting factor. Ther'e 3 components to a planted aquarium, Lighitng, fertilizer, Co2. These 3 things form a triangle and if you are missing one of the components, you have a limiting factor. C02 is used to give the edge to the plants over the algae. algae absorbs 02, and therefore c02 isn't to good for it. Co2 also alows your plants to grow faster avoiding algae. Your lighting is good also. T8 are a bit high, but this isn't a problem. The siesta period is very good that you are doing because algae isn't as fast acting as plants in the photosynthesis process.

3. OP
    OP
    Brannor

BrannorValued MemberMember

The Siesta period as you called it, appears to have worked with stopping algae growth on the glass. I haven't had to clean the glass since I started the siesta period.

I have fertiliser in the substrata in some areas. I also have an airstone in the helmet, so that's agitating for more O2 absorption. As the lighting is likely enough, I'm going to work on improving circulation and then see how the tank settles in the next few months. I will start to use some tongs to pull off a bunch of the staghorn.

-G

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice