Planted tank lighting for 20 gallon long

Cody

Both are good budget lights and are similar in quality in my opinion.

I would either do the option 2 Hygger or do a Nicrew classic or Sky Led To get one with Red LEDS also. And with the Nicrew pick the add on for Nicrew Pro timer.

I suggest those lights because they do give you an option to have a light ramp or down feature. Or just program a simple on off. It’s nice to have if you want it.

the Hygger is nice with it all in one unit though. But. You won’t be disappointed with either for the price.

Upvote 0

BettasAreSuperior

Yes, I will defintley get a timer. So, by feed back I think I am gonna go with the hygger option 2 or the nicrew one. What do you guys suggest?

Upvote 0

Cody

Yes, I will defintley get a timer. So, by feed back I think I am gonna go with the hygger option 2 or the nicrew one. What do you guys suggest?
I would go Hygger only because it’s all integrated in one. They both will do the job but it’s nice having one piece/unit

Upvote 0

BettasAreSuperior

I would go Hygger only because it’s all integrated in one. They both will do the job but it’s nice having one piece/unit
Okay, so I think I gonna lean toward the hygger one. Any more feedback?

Upvote 0

Cody

Okay, so I think I gonna lean toward the hygger one. Any more feedback?
I will say to consider the Finnex HLC also. It’s a little more but it’s a great light and I think the programming is a little easier with the remote. or if you do not think you’ll ever use the ramp up/down you could consider one of thier Stingray fixtures. But if the Hygger is where your budget is they will do a good job for you!

Upvote 0

BettasAreSuperior

I will say to consider the Finnex HLC also. It’s a little more but it’s a great light and I think the programming is a little easier with the remote. or if you do not think you’ll ever use the ramp up/down you could consider one of thier Stingray fixtures. But if the Hygger is where your budget is they will do a good job for you!
Yeah....the finnex hlc is kinda a little pricey.. but I'm torn between the hygger option 2 and nicrew...!!!!

Upvote 0

jkkgron2

Yeah....the finnex hlc is kinda a little pricey.. but I'm torn between the hygger option 2 and nicrew...!!!!
Hygger!! I use it on both my planted tanks and it’s my absolute favorite light!!

Upvote 0

BettasAreSuperior

Which hygger option is best?

Upvote 0

Mhamilton0911

I just got a nicrew , and I'm not that happy with it. It is supposed to be dimmable, and i bought the timer also, but the light flickers when ramping up and down. It's super annoying. I've contacted support, and could probably get another sent, but then I'd have no light for a while.

I was also looking at the hygger, option 1, I'm going to try one for my 10 gal.

Upvote 0

BettasAreSuperior

I have this one. It has a timer on it which is nice, although it only dims to 10% once it’s finished. For me I just turn mine off every night but it does turn back on in the morning if you leave it on all night. IMO the light is dim enough to be on all night if it’s at 10%.
Really? It would be fine if it was on all night?? It wouldn't grow algae? Also, In the morning when it turns on what percentage does it go to? 100%? Also, do you know the PAR? Does anybody? lol

Also I think these are the options I'm considering.... in order

Upvote 0

jkkgron2

Really? It would be fine if it was on all night?? It wouldn't grow algae? Also, In the morning when it turns on what percentage does it go to? 100%? Also, do you know the PAR? Does anybody? lol
All night would be fine. 10% is dim enough that there shouldn’t be any algae issues. I haven’t tried it very often (more I forget to turn it off and it turns back on in the morning) but I can leave it on tonight to test the brightness level. I have no idea the PAR.. sorry lol

Upvote 0

BettasAreSuperior

All night would be fine. 10% is dim enough that there shouldn’t be any algae issues. I haven’t tried it very often (more I forget to turn it off and it turns back on in the morning) but I can leave it on tonight to test the brightness level. I have no idea the PAR.. sorry lol
it's fine....so it turns to 100 percent in the morning, right?

Upvote 0

jkkgron2

it's fine....so it turns to 100 percent in the morning, right?
I think so. I can test it tonight to make sure. For me it’s bright enough (At 100%) that the tank looks great and the plants are growing well but not enough algae grows that my tank will be overrun. I do have nerite snails but they’re able to keep it under control so there’s very little algae.

Upvote 0

BettasAreSuperior

Sorry you guys but I think I have to skip on the hygger because I don't know the PAR and I don't want to risk it. If you do know the PAR could you give me the source where you found it. Also, I think these are the options I'm considering.... in order. Which one do you guys think??? Also, I will be using a timer and this will be going on a 20 long.

1. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NAFQ6CI/ref=twister_B00NFB51M8?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

2. https://www.amazon.com/NICREW-Class...child=1&keywords=nicrew&qid=1600292955&sr=8-2

Upvote 0

DarkOne

My high power Aquaneat light died on one of my 20g longs so I replaced it with a Beamswork DA 10,000k light. I have the 6500k version of this light on my 40b and it's a solid light.
Beamswork DA 10,000k

I found that 6500k to 10000k lights are not all that different and I actually get better growth with 10000k lights over my 6000-7000k lights. Par readings and claims seems to be all over the place so I go by lumens and watts. Pretty much the same but lumens will show how bright a light is.

I have the Nicrew you linked in the post above for almost 3 yrs and while it's not a bad light, it's not a light for a planted tank. The chart is way off on most of the lights and I would say it's good for low light plants at best. It's currently sitting on a 20g long with another Aquaneat light and it's still not as bright as the Beamswork DA I linked.

For timers, I use smart plugs. There's a free app (Smart Life) to set the timers and you can link it with Alexa or Google Home. I have Echos so it's linked to Alexa. I have voice control over all my aquarium lights and I also have groups for specific rooms, racks or all of them. Looks like prices have come way down. I paid $10 per plug in 4pks but it's down to less than $6 per plug.
https://www.amazon.com/Outlet-Required-Gosund-Upgraded-Version/dp/B07GRLQV47/

Upvote 0

Cody

The Nicrew will probably be higher PAR then the Stingray.

The stingray is would be around 35-36 PAR at that height based on manufacturer data I have seen. The Stingray2 would get you over 70 But cost more. What is your goal on PAR? The Finnex fixtures have red and blue LEDS so the added red is a plus over the Nicrew.

Upvote 0

BettasAreSuperior

The Nicrew will probably be higher PAR then the Stingray.

The stingray is would be around 35-36 PAR at that height based on manufacturer data I have seen. The Stingray2 would get you over 70 But cost more. What is your goal on PAR? The Finnex fixtures have red and blue LEDS so the added red is a plus over the Nicrew.
My goals are to just make a low tech low to medium light aquascape that looks pretty (not a mess) and is functional. Actually, it depends the nicrew with the brackets is about 28 par. Without the brackets it about 36 par. (both on a 29 gal tank) The original finnex par is 32. (on a 10 gal) My minimum par is 30. So which would be best?

Upvote 0

Cody

Well the Original stingray would be a good option if you want to be in the 30 par range. I know the Stingray 2 is double the par of the original. If you search there is a table direct from Finnex with the Finnex Stringray2 PAR ratings. They state the original is half of the par of Stingray2

edit: I would choose Finnex over Nicrew personally.

Upvote 0

BettasAreSuperior

Well the Original stingray would be a good option if you want to be in the 30 par range. I know the Stingray 2 is double the par of the original. If you search there is a table direct from Finnex with the Finnex Stringray2 PAR ratings. They state the original is half of the par of Stingray2

edit: I would choose Finnex over Nicrew personally.
Yeah! Thanks guys I'm gonna go with finnex 1! Thanks!

Upvote 0

KeriMc

I really appreciate this post and all the information! I've looked at each link provided and am considering between the Finnex 1 and the Beamswork. I have a 29 gallon semi planted tank that I want the plants to really flourish but not get totally overgrown out of control. I'm glad I found this post!!

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Hehehehaw
  • Question
Replies
Views
AcornTheBetta
Replies
Views
Coradee