29 Gallon Tank Planted Tank Help?

PurpleRose

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
hi all. I took a short break from my fish tank due to having major surgery but I'm back to try to sort my tank out. so here's what's up with my findings, very hard water, I've tried many things to change it and filter pads, frequent water changes can't seem to fix it, I have a feeling the ph is rather acidic as well for my nertie and mystery snails, I have plants that are barely thriving, I've trimmed some to try to stimulate growth and don't see much growing, I've tried to do without ferts and less frequent water changes every week to every 2 weeks depending on tank test results. I test using API liq, I bought gh kh test result my tank has been cycled over 2 years now, I have no problem keeping my snails shrimp and fish but my plants keep dying or not growing at all, all plants I do have are low light plants I'm using a light with these specs any suggestions would be greatly appreciated so I can fix the plants to finally grow right I have a picture of my tank currently and my filters running in 29 g are 2 50 aqua clear filters I use no co2 I don't exactly want to use one as I think its just more of a hassle and price related to run.. I don't want to dose artificial co2 unless necessary
Purigen bio bags and sponges it came with in both units
  • Lumen: 3510 luminous flux
  • LED Quantity: 78pcs
  • 19 ws light
  • fertz thrive and I've added macro and trace elements to supplement gravel is a mix of
    Flourite and Carib Sea Eco Complete Planted Black Aquarium
  • dose tank with florish tabs and ferts twice weekly

Attachments

Rdrb

Valued Member
Reaction score
Possibly maybe you dont have nutrient rich substrate which your plant need try adding some ferts on a weekly basis for me i have substrate of garden soil so plant growth is extreme also if the plant you have is new from store give it some time to acclimate

PurpleRose

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Possibly maybe you dont have nutrient rich substrate which your plant need try adding some ferts on a weekly basis for me i have substrate of garden soil so plant growth is extreme also if the plant you have is new from store give it some time to acclimate
so just dirt like then? is it safe with fish and snails? I'm going to be starting my 3rd tank up in the next few months and trying to consider a good substrate to use when I start it up. only thing I notice with the pennyworts they melt and turn light yellow leafs fall off. the others I have java ferns which I don't plant into my substrate and the anubias I don't plant either, Amazon Bleheri has been doing okay, I do cut off some of the bad looking leafs and some of my plants the roots die off so I guess it is a deficiency of something just not sure which the root thing only been more so on my swords so I uprooted some thinking I may have buried it too far into the gravel or something... haven't noticed too much with the root tabs since all the current plants are root plants seems to be the only type that I'm able to keep alive, java fern is doing well.

TalulahMae

Reaction score
If you do decide to do a dirted tank, it's always good to go for an organic potting mix because it will be nutrient rich and won't harm the fish. It's also especially helpful if you sift out the larger pieces like bark and leaves because they will float and make a mess. Use just a thin layer of soil and a few inches of gravel cap to keep it all down and out of the water column. Liquid ferts may be easier since you won't have to worry about disturbing the substrate.

Dechi

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I’ve made my own root tabs with the help of this Youtube video. It’s very cheap, you buy once and you have enough for the life of your tank.

In my 36 inches long tank, I think I put 8 or 9. It was my first time so I didn’t want to overdo it.

I also fertilize with Thrice C, especially made for low tech tanks (no CO2).

My plants weren’t growing much before but since the root tabs, they keep growing fast. Especially the last ones I bought from my LFS, not the prettiest in the world, but they grow like seed. I find that some plants, although sold as low tech and easy, don’t have much growth at all. At least not without CO2.

PurpleRose

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
What ferts do you use, if any?
I've started using as of this week Flourish Excel, Thrive flourish trace and micro nutrients, well some of the plants are doing excellent and some are just getting worse at the roots and not sure what else to do I know all together the fertz should be alright, the plants are all rooted excpt the moneywort are shoots, the amazon swords only 2 plants are doing alirght, rest are barely living.. I'm more experienced in the fish and snails shrimp but I really want a planted aquarium it just looks much prettier and the fish and snails seem healthier. I have been doing thrive twice weekly flourish excel twice weekly and trace minerals once weekly,since its just the roots can it be an iron deficiency? thanks all for the suggestions highly appreciated

Vishaquatics

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sounds like you're doing everything right. I'd recommend to continue dosing as you are, keep up with water changes, and don't trim the plants. The plants you have (except the hornwort) are relatively slow growers. If you want to see more instantaneous results, you should try anacharis, broadleaf watersprite, pearlweed, rotala rotundifolia, bacopa, water wisteria, and other fast growing stems.

PurpleRose

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Sounds like you're doing everything right. I'd recommend to continue dosing as you are, keep up with water changes, and don't trim the plants. The plants you have (except the hornwort) are relatively slow growers. If you want to see more instantaneous results, you should try anacharis, broadleaf watersprite, pearlweed, rotala rotundifolia, bacopa, water wisteria, and other fast growing stems.
thank you good to know the mistakes I was making so I can changed those bad habits fast! do you think my light is enough for any of the ones you listed? I found some online fairly good priced so I'm going to order some =) my light is 19wts Lumen: 3510 I'm thinking of getting a bunch of money worts, bunch of red ludwigia, Golden Creeping Jenny, Valilisneria Jungle val. thank you again for the suggestions I also just added flourish advanced since it says it helps roots and shoots and that seems to be my biggest issue so far and probably going to cut back on the trace mineral dosing and use the flourish advanced in its place

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom