Planted Tank For Goldfish?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aup

Reaction score
I have a 70 gallon tank that I plan to house two or three fancy goldfish in(I want to keep the tank under stocked, would 3 still be under stocking?). Is it possible that I could add a layer of organic soil for a heavily planted tank? I know goldfish love uprooting plants so is it possible to layer the tank with something like:
  • Top layer: Sand substrate (I do want to encourage their foraging behaviors)
  • Middle layer: Something like wide flagstone or large river rocks
  • Bottom layer: Organic soil
Would something like this work or am I asking for too much trouble in terms of keeping the tank clean? Or should I aim for something more like floating plants instead? Could I do both?

BottomDweller

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The guideline is roughly 20 gallons per fancy but you can be a bit more relaxed about it as the tank gets bigger. I'd say 4 fancy goldfish maximum in a 70 gallon.

Right now I've got some fancy goldfish with java fern, crypts (I think), anubias, water lettuce, salvinia and another plant but I'm not sure what it is. I wouldn't recommend salvinia or duckweed unless you start with a lot and have another tank full of it so you can replenish the goldfish tank as they eat it. I had a lot of salvinia to start with but they've eaten most of it. They do like to nibble the leaves of the java fern but it's too rough for them to break off. Keep in mind that my fancies are just small and larger fancies may be able to do more damage.
Whatever plants you choose they should have very tough leaves or be very fast growing.

Not sure how the substrate would work as goldfish do like to stir it up.

Reactions: Aup
OP
Aup

Aup

Reaction score
Thank you! I'll look out for hardier plants then! In that case, should I avoid floating plants?

oldsalt777

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have a 70 gallon tank that I plan to house two or three fancy goldfish in(I want to keep the tank under stocked, would 3 still be under stocking?). Is it possible that I could add a layer of organic soil for a heavily planted tank? I know goldfish love uprooting plants so is it possible to layer the tank with something like:
Would something like this work or am I asking for too much trouble in terms of keeping the tank clean? Or should I aim for something more like floating plants instead? Could I do both?
Hello A...

A dirted tank really isn't the best thing for Goldfish. They're foragers and love to move the bottom material. I think you'd find the setup pretty messy. The problem with soil, even when covered is it's easily disturbed by cleaning and the water change process and you don't want soil material floating around in the tank. Large, regular water changes are a must with Goldfish. They're larger than tropicals and produce more waste. I have larger tanks with Goldfish and have species of Anubias as the only bottom plant. It's hardy and the fish can't damage it or move it. I have the plants attached to driftwood with rocks stacked on top of the driftwood. Goldfish like floating plants like Ancharis, Hornwort and Water sprite. These grow quickly and are good for the Goldfish diet.

Old

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Top Bottom