Planted Tank For Class Project Need Fast Growth

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by jbsm, Apr 25, 2017.

1. jbsmValued MemberMember

I've got a video project where I need to make a tutorial video I've had success with high tech planted tanks in the past but need to complete this in a short amount of time will growing the plants immersed speed up the process or am I locked into a losing battle? I need to show considerable growth within 2-3 weeks.
    Any help with this is appreciated especially when it comes to which carpeting plant I should use.
    Thank you

2. Al913Fishlore VIPMember

3. BeanFishWell Known MemberMember

Hornwort grows pretty quickly, agreed, algae also grows pretty quickly :D.
    Seriously tho, I found that Ludwigia( in my case Ludwigia Palustris) under good conditions will grow pretty fast, and I consider them to be a prettier plant, so if you were able to show them Ludwigia growth it would look cooler than hornwort.

4. Al913Fishlore VIPMember

I think bacopa is also a pretty fast growing plantss

5. jbsmValued MemberMember

Thank you for the suggestions do you think I'll have good growth in two weeks

6. BeanFishWell Known MemberMember

I keep my Ludwigia Palustris under an 11 Wat fluorescent bulb and use Flourish Comprehensive and dry Potassium sulfate. It has been 3 weeks and I have probably been able to trim and replant 6 stems, the trimmed sections have already grown two more stems and most of them are already reaching the surface. If you give it good lighting (I cant really give them brigther light because of the fish), CO2 and ferts I would guess that it would grow faster, way faster.

7. Lynn78tooWell Known MemberMember

8. Jocelyn AdelmanFishlore VIPMember

Most stem plants will grow quickly in a high tech tank. You just need to be sure to pick ones that don't melt on contact with a new tank...
    Hornwort, anacharis, hygrophilia polysperma, cambomba, ambulia, bacopa, possibly even a sword.
    Carpeting plants using dry start may work, but a lot of them have a considerable bounce back time.
    The magic seeds people have been using could work, but you would need them imported from China... won't fit the time frame.
    Is there any way you could do a massive trim in your established tank and use that? Adjusted plants will always grow fastest....
    I would also recommend stopping in at your lfs (not a chain) and see if they have any recommendations (I'm spoiled, my lfs is amazing and has tons of plants, employees w scaped tanks, etc)

9. Dave125gFishlore LegendMember

Italian val grows like crazy in my high tech set up. Its constantly sending out runners. It seems every week I have to clip off babies to bring them to the pet store. Otherwise it would take over my tank.

10. jbsmValued MemberMember

Thank you I have a great place near me called aquaforest I'm heading there today, unfortunately I just sold all my plants because I'm moving soon and wasn't expecting to start a new tank for a few months

11. jbsmValued MemberMember

I've bought my tissue culture cups today will dry start show faster growth then submersed as they're already in there terrestrial state

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice