Planted Tank Flowers

WetRootsNH

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I have been waiting a long time for something to happen and it finally has, so I want to share it with all of you.

Long story short, I have always wanted my cardinal flower to flower for me as I love they way they look. I allowed a very long stem to grow up out of the water and it finally bloomed!
I have had Anubias, Barclaya, Buce, and Crypts flower for me underwater before but this is my first emergent flower.
20181015_143054.jpg
20181015_154656.jpg

stella1979

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Nice job! We don't see this kind of thing very often, so thanks a bunch for sharing.

WetRootsNH

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Thanks, I'm pretty pleased about it. I think I'm going to let the rest of the stalk bloom and then trim it... it looks rather unsightly having this massive lobelia coming up all the way from the substrate then to the surface and then that spindly flower stalk popping up out of the water.
Well that, and I'm planning on ditching a number of plants that I've deemed "boring" to make room for some cooler stuff.

The Aquatic Weasel

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Wow! Thanks for sharing, I have never seen an emergent flower out of an aquarium before. Love it!

WetRootsNH

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
You can kind of get an idea of the size of the lobelia with these pictures. The full tank shot you can see the flower stalk at the left side of the tank and picture of the plant in question was taken awhile back during a big rescape.
Next on my list of attempts at emergent flowering is a crinum calamistratum but I dont know how much luck I'll have!
20181015_174028.jpg
20180624_100009.jpg

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom