Planted tank and aquaponics

sweetsammi

Is anyone doing aquaponics? I have a planted tank and was thinking about adding some veggies or herbs to the back side of the tank. I see a lot of setups using pumps and drains. But I have hob filters and thought why not just run the hob into the pot then drain right back into the tank. Do you think adding aquaponics would take away for the plants in the tank to much. Also if you think my hob filter idea would work would I keep or remove the filter media?. TIA. 55gal planted, stocked, with 2 hob filters

Aqua Hero

I have house plants in my HOB filter and my tank is already heavily planted. you can keep the media in the filter as the roots won't harm the bacteria (actually supply more surface area for bacteria to live).

the only problem is making sure the plants get enough nitrogen compounds (nitrates) to grow or they will die. this can be easily avoided by just dosing nitrates in the tank.

sweetsammi

Cool. I was thinking about adding a new pleco and we all know they produce a lot of waste lol. I'm thinking some herbs and maybe a lilly

Aqua Hero

Cool. I was thinking about adding a new pleco and we all know they produce a lot of waste lol. I'm thinking some herbs and maybe a lilly
Yeah you can do that

Bluestreakfl

Heres a similar thread from CindiL regarding "land plants" being grown like this, lots of good info here.

as Aqua Hero said, just watch your nitrates. Also keep in mind aquatic plants will generally consume ammonia first, as for them to consume nitrates, they usually have to convert them back to ammonium. Land plants however seem to take up nitrates much better.

Aqua Hero

Heres a similar thread from CindiL regarding "land plants" being grown like this, lots of good info here.

as Aqua Hero said, just watch your nitrates. Also keep in mind aquatic plants will generally consume ammonia first, as for them to consume nitrates, they usually have to convert them back to ammonium. Land plants however seem to take up nitrates much better.
Yeah I know lool. I just checked my nitrates and it's zero. I'm buying a complete fertiliser that contains macros and mircos to resolve the issue. My aquatic plants are starting to show the first signs of problems but my fish have never been happier especially my blue ram. He won't stop swimming around the tank.

CindiL

Your fish will provide most of the fertilizer and then if you dose something like Seachem Flourish weekly that will give the rest of the nutrients they will need. My riparium tank nitrates are always at 0 but its loaded with plants on the back now and not that many fish. Eventually I will probably pair it down to one tank after my betta has lived out his life.

CindiL

Your fish will provide most of the fertilizer and then if you dose something like Seachem Flourish weekly that will give the rest of the nutrients they will need. My riparium tank nitrates are always at 0 but its loaded with plants on the back now and not that many fish. Eventually I will probably pair it down to one tank after my betta has lived out his life.

Here is my riparium tank this morning. I recently added the polka dot plants. I would love to see your herb setup once you get it done! Its really bright in this room so not the best picture. My actual aquatic plants do not suffer at all. I only have the fish listed below in this smaller tank and it seems to be plenty of fertilizer plus flourish.

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1435506149.185280.jpg

Aqua Hero

My fish don't that's the thing. In my tank all I have are otos, embers, a single ram, MTS and cherry shrimp.

My tank is 80% fast growing plants 40% of it alone is Najas. Even the slow growing plants like java moss need regular trimming. I also have a deep sand bed which filters ammonia nitrites and nitrates and now I have recently added house plants in my HOB.

I'm planning to add a few more fish but I doubt they will be enough. Also in my canister filter I have BioHome ultra and ultimate. In 6-8 months it will establish anaerobic bacteria like in my DSB. My fish are completely unreliable. I have been overfeeding on purpose and it still hasn't done a dent. Dosing nitrates is my only option.

CindiL

You can have some of mine out of my tap lol (they are 55 or higher all year long).

How about a few mollies? They have a big bio-load for a live bearer. They are my favorite fish right now as they have a lot of personality. They lyretail are very pretty. I have pandas and dalmations.

Aqua Hero

You can have some of mine out of my tap lol (they are 55 or higher all year long).

How about a few mollies? They have a big bio-load for a live bearer. They are my favorite fish right now as they have a lot of personality. They lyretail are very pretty. I have pandas and dalmations.
I wish I had high nitrates taps lool. Nah my tank is strictly nano south American fish. All fish must be south American and Lees than 3.5 inches

Aqua Hero

I'm gonna try and buy a school of pygmy hatchet fish and get a female for my ram

Aqua Hero

Another thing is that mollies and platies are my most hated fish

Bluestreakfl

Another option although it would require some small maintenance, get a vey small filtered tank, say 5g. Or heck even a Rubbermaid tub. Run just a filter, get it cycled, and keep it dosed with ammonia. Once it's cycled, use minimal ammonia dosing just enough to keep the cycle going, and you'll have liquid nitrates. Measure out what you need to dose, and just keep it topped off.

Aqua Hero

Another option although it would require some small maintenance, get a vey small filtered tank, say 5g. Or heck even a Rubbermaid tub. Run just a filter, get it cycled, and keep it dosed with ammonia. Once it's cycled, use minimal ammonia dosing just enough to keep the cycle going, and you'll have liquid nitrates. Measure out what you need to dose, and just keep it topped off.
That's a good idea but then buying a new tank and ammonia and then waiting for the cycle to complete is quite the process. It's easier to just buy dry ferts. Its cheap and I don't have to wait for a cycle. It also lasts for months.

I would use my betta tank water but ever since I spammed it with trimmed Najas, duckweed and two spider plants in my filter. The water is exactly that same as my 30 gallon. Zero nitrates

CindiL

Another thing is that mollies and platies are my most hated fish

Oh Ha ha So much for that idea then.

sweetsammi

I've been talking to my lfs about this also. They have bog plants growing up the back of their tank on driftwood. Thought my idea would work well. I hope to get started soon. For now I have a little mint plant in the filter

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Beermann
Replies
Views
Hepting_3000
Replies
Views
Chanyi
Replies
Views