Planted Tank Almost Got It Where I Want It

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Builds' started by Girdnera, Apr 12, 2017.

1. Girdnera

Girdnera Valued Member Member

I have been working hard on this take for over a year and I have lots of pictures through the whole process. I wanted to show it in its most recent state to all you guys to critique it. Take a look and let me know your thoughts. I'm open to criticism, I am still fairly new so I know I have lots to learn. Photos of the tank are hard to get so I took a video. Here is the link:  
    Make sure you view it in 1080p otherwise it looks terrible.

Feel free to ask any question about the tank and setup I'll do my best to answer.

2. S

S_Fish85 New Member Member

Beautiful tank!

3. DutchMutch

DutchMutch New Member Member

Looks good, are your ludwigia's leaves always curly like that? (like a lays potato chip) Thinking that may calcium deficiency. Or Potash.

4. TySabol

TySabol Valued Member Member

Looks great

5. OP
    OP
    Girdnera

Some stems are some aren't, I have been thinking of getting some root tabs at some point, the curliness doesn't bother me. Does that stress the plant or have any other impact than visual?

6. DutchMutch

DutchMutch New Member Member

No it will still grow fine , more of a visual thing. Will say plant health is a good thing though. If you go with root tabs I recommend going to a forums buy/sell/trade/raok/etc to buy osmocot root tabs, cheaper.

7. MelPaulATL

MelPaulATL Valued Member Member

Very pretty, I am learning too. What kind of lights? ((Sorry if redundant ??))
    Low light tank? What kind of sword is that? Looks awesome, I am still struggling.

8. TaDah

TaDah Valued Member Member

Your tank looks so beautiful!

I just got my new lamp last night and im going plant shopping!! I have yet to have a planted tank. im super nervous but excited all in one :)

9. aquatickeeper

aquatickeeper Fishlore VIP Member

Nice tank!

10. OP
    OP
    Girdnera

I built my own lights with LED strips, they grow low light plants perfectly and the high light plants grow well once they reach the upper part of the tank. I would reccommend using an LED spotlight, they are cheap on Ebay get on rated for about the same size as your tank, I have a 10 gallon I would get a 10 watt LED if I wanted to really cook them I could do a 20 watt ( found one on amazon for 11$!!). the King of DIY has a great video on doing this!

11. OP
    OP
    Girdnera

It's just a plain Amazon sword. He's been through a lot my 1 year old smashed this tank about two months ago and he lost all his leaves and then came back looking like that!

12. DanB80TTS

DanB80TTS Well Known Member Member

It looks awesome! Aren't some of those plants ones from me?

13. OP
    OP
    Girdnera

Nearly all of them are from you ;P thanks for checking in!

14. DanB80TTS

DanB80TTS Well Known Member Member

Nice, they look better in your tank than in any of mine! lol

15. OP
    OP
    Girdnera

I was inspired by your driftwood that had all the different plants on it, that piece in my tank has Java moss, Anubias nana, Subwassertang, and now I am going to attach one of my Crypt Wendtii to it. Then all i need is some java fern!

16. penguin02

penguin02 Well Known Member Member

What's your tank size and stocking? It looks beautiful!

17. OP
    OP
    Girdnera

Hey Penguin02!   its a 10 gallon. I appreciate the compliment!

18. penguin02

I thought I saw guppies in there as well? The rasboras are gorgeous.

19. OP
    OP
    Girdnera

there WERE guppys in there... I loved them but they died after a couple of days, they were sick from the LFS and I treated them with Kanaplex and it didn't work. oh well, I'm looking to replace them if you have some suggestions :D

My Rasboras are awesome! They survived a bacterial infection a while back and since have been very hardy! I feed them a varied diet flakes, algae wafers, bloodworms and then a chopped up pea every blue moon or so.

20. penguin02

May I ask you what's covering your filter output? Right now my aqueon quietflow 50 is REALLY loud, and I'm looking to slow down the flow.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice