Planted nano tank

1. gms63 Member Member

Im thinking about starting a 3 gallon planted nano tank. Im planning on adding just red cherry shrimp. This will be low maintenance with no CO2 and an LED light. I have a few questions:

1. Do i need a filter?
    2. What plants would you suggest?
    Id like to have a ground cover and will add some marimo balls and drift wood for sure. Keep in mind its low maintenance.
    3. Do i need to cycle it or will the plants take care of that?
    4. What kind of substrate would be good? I was thinking of a very small gravel. No sand.

Thanks

2. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

You don't need a filter if you do frequent water changes, but it would be easier for you and better for the shrimp if you did. A simple sponge filter would be perfect, or you could get a nano HOB.

Shrimp really seem to do well with moss. What about moss, S. repens, dwarf sag, and some Anubias?

The shrimp may not produce enough ammonia to maintain the cycle if you have lots of plants. How many shrimp are you going to add? I'd cycle it just in case.

Why not sand? Shrimp do very well on sand, and it's very easy to maintain/clean.

3. gms63 Member Member

Right now i have a sponge filter and am cycling it with seed material. I dont know how many shrimp i will add but am planning to add as much as my budget allows. Ive read that sand is too compact for plant roots. Is that true? I was planning on getting really small gravel. Will hairgrass be a good cover? Whats the height difference between hairgrass and swarf hairgrass?

4. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Not true - I have sand in all of my tanks (except one) and I can grow plants very well.

I wouldn't use hairgrass. That requires higher light, CO2, and a fertilized substrate.

5. gms63 Member Member

How do you clean sand easily? It has always seemed like a difficult thing to do with out sucking a lot of it up.

6. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Waste sits on top of the sand, and you can use a siphon to suck up the waste from the top - no need to stick the siphon into the sand.

7. beau Well Known Member Member

My plants rooted so well into my sand I couldn't actually get the plants out! There are still roots stuck in it where they tore way from the plants I was trying to remove.

8. Fishma Initiate Member

I also own a nano shrimp tank. I found that Java moss, Java Fern, Anubius, and Cabomba grew well in mine (and leopard val which I don't recommend for a small tank from my own experience).

I use a sephora corner filter with a pump for my filter. The only con to this is the shrimp like to hide in it a lot.

I'd recommend you cycle as shrimp can be quite fragile when first introduced, but you can cycle with your plants in. This also allows them to create a lot of biofilm which the shrimp will like, and it will also dirty the tank a bit (which shrimp also like)

I used gravel in my nano tank and I regretted it. I used black sand in my 6 gal betta and Amano shrimp tank and it looks soo good with shrimp as A) I can see them, and B) the black will make coloured shrimp really pop out from their background. I also recommend a piece of driftwood or something for the shrimp to hide in and climb around on, it looks nice and mine are usually always scavenging off of it.