75 Gallon Tank Planted freshwater community - Page 2

JaksAquatics

My amanos are rather large. And some of the MTS are small...I try and pick out the really big ones. You've given me food for thought.
they don't even eat adult cherry shrimp the amanos should be fine

Perlumia

Small update:
What I thought was a molt amongst the amanos may have been a carcass! I have only found 3/4 the last few days. Although, they are good at blending in.
Noticing the glow lights do not eat at the surface the ways the other tetras do...not sure how to keep them fed, as the other (pigs) will likely get all the food before they do. I mostly feed mico pellets and flakes, which stay on the surface, with the frozen goodies just a few times a week. The frozen stuff sinks. Although, when the next 12 glowlights go in to this tank I may feed the frozen more often. Just hate to think some fish might overeat while others starve!

Broggy

Small update:
What I thought was a molt amongst the amanos may have been a carcass! I have only found 3/4 the last few days. Although, they are good at blending in.
Noticing the glow lights do not eat at the surface the ways the other tetras do...not sure how to keep them fed, as the other (pigs) will likely get all the food before they do. I mostly feed mico pellets and flakes, which stay on the surface, with the frozen goodies just a few times a week. The frozen stuff sinks. Although, when the next 12 glowlights go in to this tank I may feed the frozen more often. Just hate to think some fish might overeat while others starve!
maybe some food that is labeled as semi floating. you could probably overfeed to the point to where all the fish get food, but I would be afraid of some fish eating till they burst lol

Perlumia

That's a thought...I can look for "semi-floating." Right now I am just breaking the surface tension a few pellets at a time so they slowly sink. Some of my fish would DEFINITELY eat until they burst!

Perlumia

Today the 75 gained some new plants (thanks, 86 ssinit!). My inability to take good pictures aside, the tank looks great. Really verdant. I love the Finnex planted 24/7 I bought. I liked it so much, I bought one for the 10 gallon QT/grow out tank. Now the floaters are going wild in the QT. I just put a bunch more in the 75, because I really need to counteract the algae in there. I am also trialing my spray bar aimed at the glass to cut down on the surface movement. The fish I have don't need a strong current, so we'll see if this helps the floaters grow.

Later today, the 12 glow lights in the QT will move to the 75. Later in the week, I will begin to quarantine lemon tetras. The tank is nearing completion!
Oh, and all four amanos have reappeared in the QT. One of them hid from me for weeks...I thought I had lost it. So I did see a molt in there. I may buy more shrimp down the line. I would like to try the cherry shrimp, too.

Attachments

• IMG_20210328_75 gallon.jpg
    IMG_20210328_75 gallon.jpg
    281.9 KB · Views: 17

Perlumia

75 gallon is now fully stocked!
This is SO exciting.
This tank just sort of hung out--with 2 tetras and a kuhli--while I finished my doctorate. Then I decided to restock with tetras. Why? I like them, they are hardy, and they are fish I have had the most success keeping.
However, I did change my mind midway through. After adding 3 types of tetras, I decided the tank looked crowded. They are: 10 black skirt tetras, 9 serpae tetras, and 24 glowlight tetras.
I know, not really overstocked or anything...but plenty of mid to upper level action. So I decided to add catfish. I love them, I just have not had much success with them because I believe they starve in a tank with hungry, hungry tetras.
Today I successfully added 23 pygmy corydoras (just realized there is still one in the QT--grr--I do not know where he was hiding!). I do like a good "swarm" of fish!

I'm not sure I have the energy to go after that one leftover fish now. It was a process getting them all out of my heavily planted QT tank!

But this will be the final stocking plan:
1 kuhli loach (I may get more, or we may start a tank for my son that includes kuhlis)
10 black skirt tetras
9 serpae tetras
24 glowlight tetras
24 pygmy corydoras

I can't take decent pictures because of glare, but here are a few from the QT tank.

Attachments

• DSC00253.JPG
    DSC00253.JPG
    153 KB · Views: 16
  • DSC00255.JPG
    DSC00255.JPG
    180.4 KB · Views: 17

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
A201
Replies