Planted Fishless Cycle

Discussion in 'Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle' started by Dirzo90, Apr 16, 2017.

1. Dirzo90

Dirzo90 Valued Member Member

Hello everyone. I've been cycling my tank for about 4 weeks. I had several nitrite spikes that I have been controlling with water changes. The most recent one is with the picture attached. Nitrite is about .50 ppm. I tested my tap water as well and I have 0ppm coming from there. before the water change nitrites were 5ppm+ and nitrates were 150ppm. I have removed my plants to see if that's causing my nitrite spikes. Will this speed up the process? [​IMG]

2. Arades

Arades Valued Member Member

Test your nitrate from your tap water as there could be nitrate in yoir tap water!

3. OP
    OP
    Dirzo90

Tap water nitrite test is on right side of picture.
    The left test tube is tank nitrite after water change.

4. Monrankim

Monrankim New Member Member

Technically plants are in competition with nitrifying bacteria. I'm not sure if that has anything to do with your situation though. Why are you doing water changes? I would allow the bacteria to establish first until you see only nitrates. One kind of bacteria converts ammonia to nitrite and another converts the nitrites. Why remove the nitrites?

5. OP
    OP
    Dirzo90

Not completely removing nitrites, I have heard the high nitrite levels will stall cycling?

6. Monrankim

Monrankim New Member Member

I think the WC will stall it if anything. Bacteria is on surfaces but the fluctuations in the water, like subtle pH swings that happen during WC will do more harm than good.
    IMO I think people make too much out of cycling. As long as you have some form of ammonia, all you need is water, oxygen and patience. One thing that has helped me in the past is adding an airstone and increasing the temp a little (76-80)

Last edited: Apr 16, 2017
  7. OP
    OP
    Dirzo90

Gotcha. Thank you!

8. CindiL

CindiL Fishlore Legend Member

Hi. How much ammonia are you re-dosing after the water change? If you have to keep doing water changes it makes me think you are dosing too much. Also, have you added a pinch of food to the tank? I would as nitrites need phosphates for total conversion. I would leave the plants it, they should not be harming anything. They will consume some ammonia first and foremost.

I disagree to not do water changes when nitrites hit 4-5ppm. I have seen too many people stall out if they don't. The key is to dose ammonia low and slow to prevent having to do constant water changes in the first place.

The water changes should not stall your cycle, if anything they help keep ph stable by replenishing the carbonates being used up by the nitrogen cycle and prevent a ph crash.

What is the ph of tap and tank?
    Do you know your GH/KH (general hardness and Carbonate hardness) readings?

9. OP
    OP
    Dirzo90

I was dosing household ammonia. I had a 4 ppm reading. After the water change I got dr tims Ammonium chloride. Dosed exactly what it says. Got a 2ppm reading. Gonna wait to see the reading tomorrow. If reading is above 5ppm for nitrites should I do a water change? It was currently at .50ppm before adding ammonia.

10. CindiL

CindiL Fishlore Legend Member

2 is better than 4 for dosing but if nitrites are back up to 5, I'd do a 50% water change to get ammonia to 1.0 and nitrites down and then just wait for ammonia and also nitrites to drop to .25 before re-dosing ammonia.

If you're not sure where they're at you can do the dilution test with half tank and half nitrite free water whether thats tap or bottled. Have you tested your tap for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates?

What is your ph? and lastly do you know your Gh/Kh readings of your tap?

11. OP
    OP
    Dirzo90

Tested water this morning ammonia is at 0.25ppm, nitrites were 5ppm+ and nitrates were 40ppm. My ph is at 8.2 I did a water change will test in a few hrs.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice