Planted community tank stocking?

Hemikyle

Hello! So lately I've been trying to figure out everything with my cichlid tank as far as stocking and aggression, but now I've been wondering about my planted community tank. Any suggestions and thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

I would like to know if it's at all possible to add another school of fish cardinal tetras are what I had in mind being the big brother of neon tetras. I know I have some schools already would it be okay to add them?

Could discus be an option at all I'd absolutely love to have them in this tank but fear that things might not be right for them and I know there almost a species only kind of tank? Or what about an angelfish if they wouldn't be able to work?

Lastly are the fish I have in quarantine ATM compatible with everything I have already?

Tank Size - 125G

Tank Layout - Heavily planted with a almost 5 foot long piece of drift wood in the center of the tank with black sand and 2 HOB filters with a soon to be added FX6.

Current Stock-
9 Diamond Tetras
9 Harlequin Rasboras
3 Roseline Sharks
2 Bolivian Rams
1 BN Pleco
1 Dragon Goby
7 Kuhli Loaches

Fish To Be Added (If compatible with the rest) -
6 Harlequin Rasboras
1 Yo-Yo Loach
2 Corydora Catfish (albino)
2 BN Pleco

BigManAquatics

If you add cories, i would probably do 5 or 6 instead of 2. Think you should be OK with everything else. Should be enough room for the plecos to avoid each other if they all end up male.

Upvote 0

Noroomforshoe

Cories and loaches are schooling/shoaling fish, pleas get 6+ not one or 2. You have tons of space, but Plecos do not always get along together. If you end up with 2 males it would not be ideal. If you can find some that are older, you can get one whith wiskers and one without whiskers and the male and female pair should be fine.

Upvote 0

Hemikyle

Would I be able to eventually add discus and or angelfish if discus aren't an option to this tank? along with another school probably my last school the cardinal tetras?

Upvote 0

Noroomforshoe

Would I be able to eventually add discus and or angelfish if discus aren't an option to this tank? along with another school probably my last school the cardinal tetras?
I have researched discuss here and there as they are a dream fish for me, and from what I read and watched on youtube, it seems like You already have too many other species.
1, you need to keep pristine water with very few/practically no nitrates.
2. Their ideal temperature of 92 degrees is not ideal for the fish you already have.
I think Angelfish would be fine but=
I don't know if the Roseline sharks would be too active and stress them out.
I don't know if the Bolivian rams would be an issue.

Upvote 0

Hemikyle

Could I add cardinal tetras to my tank along with everything else? I will be getting more loaches because of schooling reasons along with corydoras. Would it be wise to get an angelfish?

Upvote 0

Noroomforshoe

yes, that would be fine.

Upvote 0

Hemikyle

yes, that would be fine.
Oh I forgot to mention I also have 2 snow white parrot cichlids would that be of any issue? They are definitely very peaceful.

Upvote 0

Noroomforshoe

Parrot cichlids could eat any fish that fits in there mouth, its not about being peaceful, its nature

Upvote 0

Hemikyle

Parrot cichlids could eat any fish that fits in there mouth, its not about being peaceful, its nature
Well they are very tiny there they couldn't get a rasbora would there be an issue with the cardinal tetras since they are roughly the same size or try to find older ones if I do go?

Upvote 0

Noroomforshoe

The parrots won't be tiny forever, but the cardinals will be. Its up to you, they have space, they are faster then parrots "I think?" But If I were you, I would stick to larger species.

Upvote 0

Hemikyle

The parrots won't be tiny forever, but the cardinals will be. Its up to you, they have space, they are faster then parrots "I think?" But If I were you, I would stick to larger species.
Gotcha any suggestions if I don't go with cardinal tetras? And how many angel fish would you recommend? What about more dwarf cichlids? Or would that be a bad idea because of territory because I have the parrots and the bolivian rams?

Upvote 0

Noroomforshoe

I dont know much about cichlids. I have had a few of the more peaceful species, kribs, angels, rams, Just before covid I got electric blue acara, "none of those species were in the same tank.

What are the dimensions of your tank?
Have you considered getting more Roseline sharks? you could also get more kuhlis,
Some other fish you might like -
Rainbow fish are fast, sturdy generally non nippy - Australians are awesome, I currently have 8, they got larger and prettier then I ever imagined they would and they are half the price of other rainbows.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Hemikyle
Replies
Views
MacZ
  • Question
Replies
Views
Noroomforshoe