Planted Blackwater Lighting - Reptile Dome Lights/bulbs?

Ravynn

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I've recently upgraded to a 20 long that houses only kuhli loaches (and two nerite snail tag-a-longs). They love plants and blackwater so i've decided to do a planted blackwater tank (still working on the "black part"-- need to find a way to keep tannins).

I don't want/need an expensive led light so i've decided to go with a dome light + bulb. I'm going to get the Exo Terra Light Bracket, which extends 6.5" out which is perfect for my 12" wide tank. The parts i'm stuck on is what size dome light i should get and the bulb...

There is the 5.5" mini deep dome light for $24.99 and the 8.5" deep dome light for $39.99. I have a temporary 4" diameter desk clip lamp and when i raise it 2" above the glass lid, it lights up the whole tank, so i'm not sure what size to go with. I'm not looking for bright light at all.

Secondly, i was wondering what the appropriate bulb would be. I'm only growing low light plants. I have anubias, java fern, crypts, and val. Two bulbs i have on me are the GE bright stik 9W 5000K LED (which is what i'm using rigth now) and Sylvania 14W 5000K LED but i can get others if needed.

Any suggestions would be very helpful! I don't want to buy the wrong products. :)

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
There are cheaper options. Your hardware store should have dome lights for much cheaper.

Since you don't need it to be bright, I would just go with those lights and see how they work. You could always add a different bulb later, if these don't work.

Ravynn

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
TexasDomer said:
There are cheaper options. Your hardware store should have dome lights for much cheaper.

Since you don't need it to be bright, I would just go with those lights and see how they work. You could always add a different bulb later, if these don't work.
The only lights similar to dome lights in my area are the 8.5" silver clip lamps from Home Depot which are $23 w/ tax. I'd like to keep everything looking sleek with black. Which size should i use?

The 9W LED is quite bright, so i might stick with that for now. I would use the desk clip lamp i have right now but the gooseneck makes the lamp flop down so it's directly on the glass.

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Size is your choice! With the larger one, you have more options for bulbs if you decide you want more lighting in the future.

Ravynn

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
TexasDomer said:
Size is your choice! With the larger one, you have more options for bulbs if you decide you want more lighting in the future.
I was worried the 5.5" might be too small but it's the one i'd like to get. The lamp i have now is smaller and doesn't have a reflector so maybe i'll be good? Let's hope.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom