5 Gallon Tank Planted aquarium lights?

mang0

I have the finnex stingray (link here) and it works well for me. It clips on, but only has on/off function (white light for daytime). there is no night mode or anything, but i've heard night mode grows algae. one of my other tanks has a light that has night/day modes, and i honestly only use the night mode for fun viewing on occasion.

PeteStevers

The different colors make up the 6,500K spectrum of light that plants need to thrive. I would think that light would be adequate for a 5 gallon tank. Keep in mind that lower intensity lighting will cause plants to grow higher towards the light, while higher intensity lighting will keep them from "reaching" for more light. Also, I would recommend using root tabs in the substrate. Are you adding fish or shrimp to this tank? IMO the larger the volume of water, the easier it is to maintain. So, if you can go bigger... do! Good luck!

ShrimpKeeper

Thank you. I will be adding shrimp and the finnex stingray light is not long enough to cover the whole tank

And what root tabs or fertilizers would you recommend

mang0

ShrimpKeeper said:
Thank you. I will be adding shrimp and the finnex stingray light is not long enough to cover the whole tank
mine doesn't cover the whole tank (it's on a 5 gallon) but the light is bright enough to illuminate the whole tank. it definitely does the job IMO. you can also angle it so that if there is a certain spot with more plants it can cover that area. otherwise the nicrew you picked out is also good, i have a larger nicrew on my 10 gal and it's good too

PeteStevers

I use Seachem Flourish tabs personally. They're a bit expensive but, I only replenish them every 6 months (or when I think about it) in my 40g tank.

Gudgie

ShrimpKeeper said:
I want to get planted aquarium light for my 5 gallon it will only have Monte Carlo as a carpet. What do different colored LEDs do? What light would you suggest?
This the one i am looking at currently
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...&pf_rd_p=edaba0ee-c2fe-4124-9f5d-b31d6b1bfbee
I have that light in the 18-24” version on my Fluval Spec V planted tank. So far I like it - it’s super bright, so you may want a dimmer. I’ve had a breakout of brown algae, but I would have expected that with any new bright light since I upgraded from a very dim old Spec light. Just a matter of figuring out the balance of intensity, ferts, and CO2. Can’t comment on how Monte Carlo does with it yet, but I have some MC shipping later this week so hopefully I’ll know soon!

Top Bottom