1. Amazon Prime Day!
    Attention Amazon Prime Members: Not to miss deals on lots of products for 36 hours starting July 15!
    Go here: Amazon Prime Day Deals
    Dismiss Notice

Planted Aquarium Light 29 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Remoraid, Jun 25, 2019.

1. RemoraidNew MemberMember

Want to do a planted setup with my 29 gallon tank. Looking for a medium to high light to do that with.

My LFS workers swear that the Kessil lights work better than anything else. Some online reviews suggest the Fluval 3.0.

What do you guys think?

2. CrispiiWell Known MemberMember

I've successfully grown plants on some old LED lights lol.

3. WTFish?Well Known MemberMember

4. StarGirl15Valued MemberMember

It really depends on what plants you want.

5. DechiValued MemberMember

Reviews I’ve seen are good for Fluval 3.0 on low tech tanks.

That’s what I’ve bought but it’s only been 1 month. What I really like is you can program it from your cell or tablet. You can adjust the intensity for all colors (3-4 whites, blue and red) and there are pre-set formulas if you prefer.

Since my tank is new and I don’t want any algaes, I use it between 6% and 20%-30% intensity and so far I have a little algae but under control. I put my light on from 0900 am to 7-9 pm, depending on how I feel the tank needs it. It’s too long for a new tank but since I use very low intensity (6% to 20% most of the time), it’s fine.

With my old tank, I had traditional good quality, expensive lights and even at about 6 hours of light per dag, I was still battling algae constantly.

This guy has good advice on it :

6. RemoraidNew MemberMember

Thank you, this was very useful :) I think I will go with the Fluval 3.0 as well.

I will definitely pick your brain about settings and such once my tank is up and running!

7. DechiValued MemberMember

I think it’s a very good choice !

One thing to remember, if you unplug the light or you lose power, it will default to it’s midnight setting (so at least you don’t end up having too much light if you lose power).

Just reconnect to it with the app and choose the right setting. It only takes 1 second. I had a lot of trouble with it in the beginning because I wasn’t aware of it.

8. WraithenFishlore VIPMember

You're asking for medium to high light, but dont mention co2. If you aren't using co2, the fluval will do fine. If you are, there are stronger, cheaper options. Kessil are great, but plants dont need 100 par, ever.

If you are using co2, nothing in price anywhere near what a fluval 3.0 will cost will get you to maximum, including the fluval 3.0, for leds. The cheaper option is tube lights, the more expensive sky is the limit option is a radion hybrid fixture combined with a kessil or similar.

Edit: I run 3 of these 3.0s on my 180, along with a similar light with almost 0 of the features. I do love the 3.0s, but they are running at 100 percent and aren't nearly as high as my tank could handle with co2.

9. RemoraidNew MemberMember

Very interesting, thanks for your input!
    Doing a high tech aquarium setup is definitely something I've wanted to do, so I won't rule out co2 for now. Hypothetically if I were to go that route, what lights could I use?

10. WraithenFishlore VIPMember

The 3.0s offer a lot of bang for the buck. I would go with that if you like it. Especially if you aren't starting off with co2. They will be more than enough. I was at 65 percent for all the whites without co2. With co2, all my white is maxed, blues are in the low teens, and reds are currently at 75. I keep tweaking things to see what will work though.

11. DechiValued MemberMember

How deep is your tank ? Mine is 20 inches and I was planning to go up to 50% but if I can get by at 65% with no algaes, even better. I have no CO2.

12. RemoraidNew MemberMember

It's 18 inches!

Edit: Wait shoot you weren't talking to me were you...>_>

Last edited: Jun 26, 2019
  13. DechiValued MemberMember

Great, that means I could even go a little higher. Can you detail your lighting schedule ? I suppose it’s not on at 65% the whole day ? How many hours total ?

Sorry if I have lots of questions but there isn’t a lot of info about this on the web.