Planted Aquarium 5 Weeks Update

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Thanks. Need some other plants but plants are hard to come by in Jamaica.

The dwarf hairgrass is growing but not as fast as I would like.
What are your inhabitants and are you using a co2 system or just dosing regular ferts? Are there any ponds,lakes,streams that you could get some native plants and add to a quarantine bucket to see how they do with your current water parameters then possibly add to your tank?

Mickiemas

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
What are your inhabitants and are you using a co2 system or just dosing regular ferts? Are there any ponds,lakes,streams that you could get some native plants and add to a quarantine bucket to see how they do with your current water parameters then possibly add to your tank?
Inhabitant juvenile goldfish, 3 spot gourami, swordtails, and guppies. I have DIY CO2 which is working great for the crypt wendtii red and the Ludwigia Repens. There is a river not too far but no ponds or likes I can think of. I DNT remember seeing plants at River either just algae.

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Inhabitant juvenile goldfish, 3 spot gourami, swordtails, and guppies. I have DIY CO2 which is working great for the crypt wendtii red and the Ludwigia Repens. There is a river not too far but no ponds or likes I can think of. I DNT remember seeing plants at River either just algae.
Hmmm if their are some small outlets to the river you may be able to find something. If not maybe do some propagating to the plants that are doing well in there to fill your tank that way.

Mickiemas

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hmmm if their are some small outlets to the river you may be able to find something. If not maybe do some propagating to the plants that are doing well in there to fill your tank that way.
The plants in there are almost too much now it's just that I'd like some variety. The crypt just sent off a new runner tho so that's a plus.

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
The plants in there are almost too much now it's just that I'd like some variety. The crypt just sent off a new runner tho so that's a plus.
Hmm sorry i don't relly have any other ideas aside from trying to find some plant growers that can deliver to your area. Have you checked local media or aquabid or ebay... sorry i can't be more help.

Mickiemas

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hmm sorry i don't relly have any other ideas aside from trying to find some plant growers that can deliver to your area. Have you checked local media or aquabid or ebay... sorry i can't be more help.
Thanks alot but yea I have checked the problem is they won't allow live plants to be shipped here without certain certification to come thru customs

Mickiemas

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Check out my dirted aquarium and tell me wat u think. Any advice is welcomed.

Foxxway

Valued Member
Reaction score
Looks great. I'm wanting to try this method. What kind of dirt did you use? Are you going to go filterless at some point like FooThe Flowerhorn did in his long series of videos? Is that where you got the idea? I think it would be great having to rely less on electricity and let the tank reach equilibrium, if it really does work. However, Foo seems like a very patient guy.

Mickiemas

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Looks great. I'm wanting to try this method. What kind of dirt did you use? Are you going to go filterless at some point like FooThe Flowerhorn did in his long series of videos? Is that where you got the idea? I think it would be great having to rely less on electricity and let the tank reach equilibrium, if it really does work. However, Foo seems like a very patient guy.
The dirt is from my back yard in Jamaica this dirt is high in iron. I don't think I can go filterless because I have quite a few fishes in here I use it as a grow out tank so it's always going to have a lot of juvenile fishes and going filterless will be a trial and error thing. I am going to make a smaller aquarium soon maybe that one I will try the filterless method.

As to where I got the idea I've seen a few videos of dirted tanks not just footheflowerhorn and I decided I'll give it a try also. Seems pretty good so far.

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I like it! Ludwigia is growing nicely on a slight slant, fish look happy, looks great so far.

Also like your music choice for the vid lol, I picked the same one for one of mine.

Mickiemas

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I like it! Ludwigia is growing nicely on a slight slant, fish look happy, looks great so far.

Also like your music choice for the vid lol, I picked the same one for one of mine.
Lol. Thanks
The lights are stronger to the corners so that's why they're growing sloant but I kinda like that they're not straight up.

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years

Mickiemas

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Omg lots! I've had many dirted tanks over the years!

This is my 90g the other day.
View attachment 622929
Tank is at least 5 years old. Big dirt beds of 6-8 inches at the sides and back. Seriously 0ppm nitrates! 8 angels, 3 adult BN plecos and babies, amano shrimp. No ferts, just root tabs now and then here and there. So easy, plants just explode everywhere!
Oh yea I remembered you showing me this tank before but I didn't know it was dirted. That's a lot of dirt I only have a thin layer. Next dirted tank I do I'm gonna use more dirt cuz I'm sure my current one won't last nearly as long as 5 years. Lol

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom