Planted 90 gallon

mathas

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
As the owner of a new aquarium, the first I've kept since the advent of digital cameras, I've recently begun trying to teach myself how to photograph fish. I really don't have a lot of photography experience as it is, mostly just taking snapshots of friends at various events, but I've found that trying to capture a 2" fish while it's moving is a whole different experience!

Camera: Canon PowerShot S3 IS
Lens: whatever comes with the camera
Shooting Mode: Manual
Aperture: F3.5
Shutter Speed: 1/20 second

I intend to add pictures to this thread as the tank grows/changes, sort of an ongoing "critique my pictures and help me become a better photographer while I show off my fish" thread.

Here is the tank prior to adding any fish:

The plants are all live (my first attempt at a planted tank!), and include Anubias barteri, Cryptocoryne wendtii bronze, Echindorus blaheri, and Echindorus cordifolius. I'm still thinking about adding at least one Anubias nana, but I'm going to wait for the smaller plants to grow out and give me a better idea of how they will fill in before I make any drastic aquascaping changes.

The first fish I added were three red-tailed rasboras (or brilliant rasboras, as the LFS around here call them). I'll be heading back this afternoon to pick up a few more, and hopefully increase the school size to around 8-10. After what seemed like hundreds of pictures, but was probably only 50-75, I finally got two where you can tell that they are fish and not just blurs!

I then added my cleanup crew: two albino bristlenose plecostomus, and seven corydoras (I think Corydoras trilineatus).

I'm by no means an expert on sexing plecos, especially ones as young as these, but if the beginnings of bristles are any indication, I have one male and one female. I think the one in the picture above is the male, because the other one is the same size but does not have the little barbels around the front of the head.

The corys were still a bit stressed last night from the long drive home from the LFS and the new tank, but hopefully tonight they'll be a little less camera-shy, and be willing to pose for some photos!

Slug

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Nice tank. I've tried my hand at shooting those brilliant rosaboras, tough task i agree. You have some really good shots of them. That shot with the bristlenose would be hard anyway, so much white in the frame it'd be hard not to overexpose something, nice job there.

mathas

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I appreciate all the comments so far! I'm also open to constructive criticism, if anyone has some to share.

The corys are still a little skittish when I get near the tank, but I'm very large and they're very small, so I can understand where they're coming from! There is one little guy (or gal) that doesn't seem scared of the giant:

I think I managed to get the substrate slightly more in focus than the fish, which is something I'm trying to figure out how to overcome, but you can still see the beautiful markings that made me choose these ones.

I'd thought when I first got them home that they were Corydoras sterbai, but now that I have this picture of one staying still for a fraction of a second, I think they look much more like Corydoras trilineatus. Either way, these little guys are awesome, and full of energy!

I also have quite a few malaysian trumpet snails that help keep my substrate stirred up and help me explore the macro limits of my lens:

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
How many cories do you have? They are bravest when they have fellows to be brave with.

mathas

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
How many cories do you have? They are bravest when they have fellows to be brave with.
Seven.

They're definitely out and about, swimming all over the place, they just duck into the plants when I get close enough to the tank to take pictures. I just brought them home yesterday, though, so it's understandable that they're not used to me yet.

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Yeah, with that number, it's likely just skittishness from the new surroundings. They'll warm up to you.

mathas

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I said yesterday that I was going back to the LFS to increase the school size for the red-tail rasboras... they only had four left, so naturally I took them all. My ultimate goal is a school of at least ten, maybe more, but seven is good enough until the next shipment comes in.

Even just with the bag floating in the tank, my original three rasboras were pretty excited to see the new arrivals. They'd swim around the bag for a bit, then dart off and turn around like "why aren't you guys following us?", then they'd come back and do it again.

Here's a couple of shots I was able to get this morning of them hanging out together:

I also got a better picture of the face of what I think might be my female bristlenose... despite being slightly larger than the other one I posted a picture of earlier, the barbels are far less pronounced on this one.

I'll be heading back to the LFS on Friday to place an order for five or six bolivian rams, and either purchase a few more rasboras or have them order a few more for me.

peacemaker92

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Your tank is beautiful! Never seen such a tank that would take my breath away even in a picture! Your photos are splendid too, they're so clear and non-blur! Awesome man! Well done!

Btw, I don't think anyone would want to criticize you. Your pictures and your tank is just awesome!

mathas

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Btw, I don't think anyone would want to criticize you. Your pictures and your tank is just awesome!
While I appreciate the kind words, there's always room for improvement

For example, I still have issues controlling what my camera focuses on, as evidenced in this picture:

The corys are a little blurry, while the cave behind them is sharp.

But sometimes I get it right! Here is a group of the corys being far less shy than they were during the last photo session:

mathas

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Today's changes:

After noticing that the plants looked a little too uniform with the swords and anubias having the same basic shape to the leaves, I added some and for variety. I'm happy with the results for now, but we'll see what happens as everything starts to fill in. I'm also working on obtaining a small quantity of to serve as a low-growing, slow-spreading carpet and round things out.

In addition to that, I recently won an AquaBid auction for 6 juvenile platinum angels, which I will keep until a pair forms and then trade the rest in at the LFS. I also added four more red-tail rasboras, bringing my school up to 11, and had my LFS place an order for the final five to get me to my desired school size of 16.

Not much new in the way of pictures, except for the plecos posing for new portraits:

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom