Planted 55 gallon rescape

toeknee

Well Known
Hello all. I recently did a fairly big rescape on my 55. I was going to wait until all the new plants I got grew in but figured I'd keep progress pictures in one thread. Currently there's a handful of plants that are too small to even see in the photos that once grown in should be having a big impact on the scape. The main thing I was after with the rescape was less of a jungle tank and a little more hardscape focused.

Decided to try out a frosted glass background for a change of pace. Scraping of the black paint really wasn't too hard with a paint scraper, took 15-20 minutes. Plus if I don't like this background I can just peel it off, but I like it so far. Had an old led I put behind it for a little back lighting but I've ordered the Current Usa Serene backlighting system to fiddle with all kinds of different background colors and settings, should be here in a couple days

I wanted hardscape to stand out a little more so the sandy cove area helps keep the black lava rocks in view and the corys like having an open sandy area to sift around in. I had the other piece of driftwood I added to the right side laying around from an old torn down tank and kept low growing plants in front of it so it doesn't get too covered up. All the stem plants got a major trimming. They're in that awkward transition phase and have some growing and filling in to do. All the new plants I added about a week ago are already putting out roots and are looking well so should be taking off pretty quickly. It'll be 2-4 weeks before things are looking full and lush again. Here's a before and a couple after photo's.
DSC_1803.jpg
DSC_1851.jpg
DSC_1852.jpg
DSC_1854.jpg

OP
toeknee

toeknee

Well Known
Thanks! It definitely doesn't look as nice as it did before the major trim. Still not totally sold on the frosted background, waiting for everything to fill back in to really decide. It would be nice if there was a pure plack background that's made the same way the frosted background is. You can peel it off and use it over and over again.

New Threads