Planted 40b Tank Using Mopani Driftwood And Rocks?? Substrate?

1. Guppykid101

Guppykid101 Well Known Member Member

I have a bad habit of looking at driftwood whenever I'm anywhere that has it, and in the planning stages of my new 40B tank I picked up a couple pieces of cool looking mopani. I have never included rocks in an aquascape besides the various pebbles in my 60 gallon, but I really want to. What kind of rocks might look best with mopani wood?

Also, would anyone have advise on a good substrate to use? Pool filter sand has done me wonders in the past, but I considered maybe mixing it with tan colored flourite?? Would mixing it defeat the purpose of the flourite? Should I try using black flourite, or would that look odd with the lighter colored mopani wood and rocks? I want as natural of a look as possible.

2. b

bryangar Well Known Member Member

If you want something natural, why not try the walstad method. It’s a dirted tank. It’s cheaper than all the expensive substrate. Look more into it. It’s a really cool experiment.
    As for rocks, I’d say dragon stone would look nice along side a nice piece of driftwood.
    You definitely shouldn’t mix flourite and regular sand. IMO it’ll be a waste of money when you remove it and its all mixed.

3. OP
    OP
    Guppykid101

Guppykid101 Well Known Member Member

I've seen some videos on dirted tanks and while I can tell it does wonders for the plants I just don't think it'd be worth it to sacrifice my ability to move things in the tank without making a mud storm.

Only reason I wanted to mix it would be to reduce the cost of the investment, to get a good layer of flourite substrate on a 18x36 floor plan I'd be pushing $100 which is insane, I've heard that some people put down an inch of sand and then an inch of flourite on top so that smaller plants with thin stems can root into the finer sand below, any opinion on that? I'm trying to find a way to eliminate my need for root tabs in the pool filter sand..

4. b

bryangar Well Known Member Member

It does get expensive to plant a large tank. Try planning where you want to place the plants and the scape and add the substrate where you want to plant and where ever you want to leave bare, Just add sand. After all, most stem plants do need liquid ferts and flourite will just get better with the more fert you dose in the water column.