AlfaBetta

Valued Member
Reaction score
I set this tank up for my sister.
3.jpg

smillermom

Valued Member
Reaction score
I wish I was your sister!!!!!Beautiful tank!

Gunnie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Very nice! ;D

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Love the tank! What kind of fishies get to live in that lovely home?
Carol

paul_219

Reaction score
Very nice tank. What type of fish do u have.

Stradius011

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I love your aquarium!

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Great-looking tank AlfaBeta

justhelping

Reaction score
Hi AlfaBetta,

I'm new here, so please forgive my forwardness. I was browsing the pics & noticed yours. This tank for your sister, I noticed is off the edge of the table on both sides. I heard that this is bad for fish tanks as it puts uneven pressure on it. The only reason I say anything is because I had the same situation & someone made me put a board under it, the same size as the aquarium. Also I read if you put a piece of styrofoam on top of the board before you set the tank on it, that will help absorb any uneven spots that may be there from the board.

Are there anymore opinions on this subject, as I've only heard it discussed once?

BTY beautiful tank AlfaBetta! Lucky sister!

AlfaBetta

Valued Member
Reaction score
The tank is acrylic so it's actually very flexible, safe and strong. It only extends pass the table's edge by about 1.5" on either side. The table itself is very strong too even though it looks fairly weak. It's very resistant to bowing in the middle and doesn't sway back and forth under the heavy weight of the tank. I appreciate you bringing it up though because it is a valid concern which many newcomers to the hobby may not be aware of.

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
justhelping said:
I'm new here, so please forgive my forwardness. I was browsing the pics & noticed yours. This tank for your sister, I noticed is off the edge of the table on both sides. I heard that this is bad for fish tanks as it puts uneven pressure on it.
I agree with you. Now, I see this is an acrylic tank, so I do not know if this also applies to acrylic tanks. However, considering that water is very heavy, especially if the tank is larger, I'd personally have a full stand even for an acrylic tank - just to stay on the safe side.

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Beautiful tank. Your fish look like they don't like having their picture being taken lol.
Tom

lokky.funky

Valued Member
Reaction score
tats a lively tank. I love it

wolfman21

Valued Member
Reaction score
I love the driftwood and plant combo-really looks cool.

mbztech

Reaction score
Lucky sister, the tank looks great.

DefFishLover

Reaction score
Whoa nice tank! beautiful.. No one havent says yet about my new tanks just posted =( ..I agree some of them said want full stand, i 'd same things anyway, it your choice.. NICE Tank Sweet!

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
That's just a lovely tank.

As to the tank and the table, there is a difference between a support structure for an acrylic tank versus a glass tank.

An acrylic tank needs a table or stand beneath it which will support the entire bottom area of the tank. The weight of the water is evenly distributed throughout that area.

With a glass tank, you need a table or stand which will evenly support the outside edges of the tank, because that is where the weight is distributed.

See? There's the one new thing you'll learn today.

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
That's a great looking tank!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom