Planted 16 Gallon Tank Light Help, Please!

KimAnnKitz

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I know that this may have been asked and answered in another thread, but after an hour of searching I can't find anything that helps me. I have a 16 gallon tank running since March 4. This is my second 16 gallon...the first one got a huge leak. I mention the first tank because it is relevant to my questions.

I would like to know if there is a good LED planted light that will grow low and medium light plants in a 16 gallon. I have a Finnex that I think is a Fuge Ray. I can't remember and the only writing on the light is a little badge that says Finnex and of course the box is long gone. It has blue and white LEDs and a moonlight setting.

This light, on the old 16 grew plants very well BUT it also grew massive amounts of black beard algae! I am already seeing bba starting on my anubias and sword. I can only come to the conclusion that the light is too strong. I am running a low tech setup. In the old tank I dosed Excel and that helped but not a whole lot. Any suggestions would be great!

Crafty Cichlid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
keep up with the excel. I've also heard of using CO2 booster directly on plants for bba. I've tried the toothbrush method in the past with no luck. My guppies occasionally nibble on bba. Snails will too, if pressed for a food source.

Mick Frost

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Not sure what your depth is, but 20x 3LED stick ons (14.4w total, ~6k) hit Mini Dwarf Hair Grass pretty well at 16". It's still slow growth, but on a moderate light plant.

KimAnnKitz

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Mick Frost said:
Not sure what your depth is, but 20x 3LED stick ons (14.4w total, ~6k) hit Mini Dwarf Hair Grass pretty well at 16". It's still slow growth, but on a moderate light plant.
I'm not much on diy electrical stuff. I would have no idea how to do that and make it work on my tank. Do you know of a prebuilt fixture that offers that? My tank depth is about 12"

Mick Frost

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Unfortunately I don't do much with retail stuff. Shipping costs would bankrupt me. For perspective though, its about the same lumens as 2 45w halogens, maybe a little less.

KimAnnKitz

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I should have given my tank dimensions: 24"l x 12"w x 12.5"d....

Mick Frost

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Little bit of science going through my head... Say 10" of water down to Anubias leaves, I'd say about 7w LED would be sufficient. I know 9w in 8" of water is getting into "high light" and I get BSA like crazy if I cull too many plants.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom