Planted 10g betta

1. Prep8611 Member Member

Spawn (half moon male betta) got upgraded from a five gallon to a ten today :). Sponge filter bc shrimp and betta preferred. Planted with anacharis, java fern, and a banana plant and unfortunately mondo grass which I will have to take out ( pet store sold it as aquatic)

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1404627142.286627.jpg
    ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1404627292.171333.jpg
    ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1404627621.763927.jpg

And no my betta doesn't eat shrimp, at least he hasn't yet. Hes currently housed with a cherry shrimp and 4 ghost shrimp. Let me know what u think, this is my first planted tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. _Fried_Bettas_ Well Known Member Member

I think both the tank and betta look very nice. I can't be sure from the picture but you look like you have two rocks next to each other that might have spaces where a betta could get stuck between them. I've just seen betta die from squeezing into places they couldn't get out, and thought I'd bring the possibility to your attention.

3. shayla1 Well Known Member Member

I agree with Fried bettas.. From the pictures you posted, the rocks do look like betta traps. Even just separating them some to make sure he can't get stuck will fix the potential hazard.

Other than that, welcome to the wonderful world of planted aquariums!!!! Your betta will be happier and you can enjoy the additional beauty that the plants will provide!

4. Prep8611 Member Member

thanks guys i plan on fixing the rocks today. thanks for your critique as well as positive marks.

5. petaddiction Well Known Member Member

Wow he is beautiful. I can't comprehend how much he looks like my betta. Take a look at my profile picture. It's crazy how alike they look.
    Anyways, nice tank! My betta boy actually just got moved to a 10 gallon, also.

6. NCE12940 Well Known Member Member

He is a very pretty boy!

7. Prep8611 Member Member

Yes hes very similiar. he was the healtiest of the bunch at petsmart and unfortunately the most expensive but my wife loves watchig him swim before she goes to bed. We named him Spawn (the comic book) because his fins remind us of how big Spawns cape was.

8. Prep8611 Member Member

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1405553631.553899.jpg ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1405553737.145380.jpg

Attached pics are rescaped tank with new plants and of Spawn and his ghost shrimp buddy :)

9. petaddiction Well Known Member Member

Wow! it looks sweet. what are all of the plants?

10. Prep8611 Member Member

You know what i totally forget and it's embarrassing. I'm fortunate enough to have an extremely good fish store who i basically gave all my parameters for and my lighting and tech and they picked out what plants would grow for me. To my amazement the plants are all thriving after I threw out all the previous plants i bought from petco.

11. petaddiction Well Known Member Member

Awh dang. :( Thanks though. :)
    do you know what type of lighting you have? Like how many watts?

12. Prep8611 Member Member

Ya i actually did a DIY compact fluorescent setup with Home Depot reflector shop lights, it's 26 watts total. My plants grow like crazy. I use seachum flourish, API co2 booster, and root tabs.

13. Christopher shoemaker Member Member

Wowww looks great

Sent from my SM-G900V using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

14. smee82 Well Known Member Member

Tank looks lovely

15. hollie1505 Well Known Member Member

Beautiful tank and such a gorgeous fish.xx

16. renthus Well Known Member Member

Front left -- A crypt of some sort (I think).
    Back left -- Water Wisteria
    Middle, tied to rock - Java fern
    Mid-left - Hornwort
    Mid-right - My gut says bacopa, but I feel like it's probably something a lot more normal than that
    Front right - Banana Plant
    Back right- No idea. That is a nerite snail crawling on it, though.

17. Prep8611 Member Member

Wow good job renthus and you are actually right. Once you named everything i went back to the fish store and u were right. The front left plant is the same as the bak right plant (it's a trimming from the back right)

18. Falcon JJ Member Member

The tank looks great, and that betta is stunning. What a beautiful fish. :;betta2