Planted 10g Advice Help

Alex6455

Valued Member
Reaction score
I have a low tech 10g with a Beamswork LED, which currently has an output of 13.5 watts. I have been combating algae, and was wondering what my next step should be. I am dosing Flourish Comp 2 times a week, but do I need to? Should I try Excel?
I am trying the "scientific" approach to balancing my tank, changing one variable at a time. I reduced to photoperiod to 7 hours for 2 weeks, and the algae has been growing the same. What would my next step be in trying to balance my tank? I am thinking either increase or decrease ferts.
Please help and thanks in advance!

endlercollector

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
What plants are you growing in there that require ferts? Also, what animals are in there?

If you've decreased the lighting that much, then I'd say that there are too many nutrients in the water and not enough creatures to eat the algae. I'm from the subtropics, and the kind of tropical plants that people keep in fish tanks really do need 12 hours of light a day. If they're not growing as fast as the algae, then an easy fix is nerite snails.

Alex6455

Valued Member
Reaction score
endlercollector said:
What plants are you growing in there that require ferts? Also, what animals are in there?

If you've decreased the lighting that much, then I'd say that there are too many nutrients in the water and not enough creatures to eat the algae. I'm from the subtropics, and the kind of tropical plants that people keep in fish tanks really do need 12 hours of light a day. If they're not growing as fast as the algae, then an easy fix is nerite snails.
I am growing crypts, s repens, some java fern, bacopa monnieri, dwarf sag, and anubias. Just a loner dwarf gourami. I tried nerite snails, but they all died. I am suspecting that the pH may have been too high (8). Thanks for your response! So, in order to try to balance my tank, should I decrease my ferts to once a week?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom