Plant Trimming, Propogation

INeedHelpLol

Active Member
Member
Messages
421
Reaction score
179
Location
Manhattan NY
Experience
1 year
I have some rotala rotundifolia and some ludwigia repens. For the most part the ludwigia repens turned black on the bottom, got mushy but the leaves on top continued to grow so I cut the "good" parts off the replanted them, threw away the barren black stems with aerial roots. I got some other form of stem plant, probably some rotala emersed, which sent out 2 or 3 new submersed growth stems from this node on the top, it has a bunch of ridges and is roundish. I cut off the new growth and replanted, and now will see what other ģrowth comes out of the initial emersed grown stem. Now, for the bunch of rotala rotundifolia , it was a pack of 6, but came with like 17 stems. Good deal, so I spread them apart. The old underwater growth it came with stopped growing, but there are new leaves on top. What should I do, should I jusy cut off all new growth and plant them and get rid of the old stems? Or cut off the new tops, replant them but also keep the old stems in the tank?
One of my aims is to have a bunch of plants growing to help combat algae.
Pictures below:
 

Attachments

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
6,919
Reaction score
4,068
Location
Florida, USA
Experience
3 years
I'd leave it alone for a little while and let the newer growth get some length before cutting it off. Honestly I would just chop off all the rotala near substrate level and leave the roots intact, and replant the new green portions on the stems. The new growth that would come from the roots would be the more compact green growth like what you see growing from the tips of the stems.

As for the algae, lighting period? Fertilizers? Feeding and water change schedule?
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #3
OP
I

INeedHelpLol

Active Member
Member
Messages
421
Reaction score
179
Location
Manhattan NY
Experience
1 year
Yeah, I will probably do that. For lighting I have from 9 am to 6 pm, rest is darkness. Its the 247 p+ hlc from finnex. I used to have it on max for that time frame, but yesterday I dimmed the light a few notches. I feed everyday, but every week i try not to feed one day. I feed once a day. I try not to feed to much, just enough that everyone has a bite or two, obviously not starving them lol. For ferts I use flourish once a week, and I know it is not a good fert, so that's why I was asking about nilocg :) . Normally i do 20 to 25 percent water change a week, but i kinds slacked off tbh the past 2 weeks, so i did a 50 percent water change yesterday. Nitrates always seem to be under 25, maybe 15 to 20 ppm nitrates, i have those strips which also have the ammonia strips. Tetra 7 in 1. Amm and nitrites are all 0. Ph 6.8, soft water, and temp 77 to 78.
 

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
6,919
Reaction score
4,068
Location
Florida, USA
Experience
3 years
I would definitely reduce the lighting back to 6-7 hours for a while, at least until your plantload is increased. Even with my heavily planted high tech setups I keep my timers on for 7 hours.

Back off on the feeding to every other day. You don't have to do this permanently, just for a few weeks. This may drastically lower your nitrates between water changes.


NilocG Thrive is amazing stuff, I use the shrimp-specific formula in all my tanks. Thrive is good because it has a high concentration of the big 3: Potassium, Nitrogen, and Phosphate. These are the nutrients (along with Carbon in the form of CO2) that plants need more of. Often addressing a macro deficiency will result in drastically better growth and color in plants.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #5
OP
I

INeedHelpLol

Active Member
Member
Messages
421
Reaction score
179
Location
Manhattan NY
Experience
1 year
Ok, so this is what I will do:
6 hours of lighting, from 9 am to 3 pm.
Change feeding schedule
Try to get a hold of some thrive. Which one do you recommend? ThriveC, regular Thrive or the ThriveS? So many different names, different reviews, for the same things with just different levels of NPK.
 

JettsPapa

Well Known
Member
Messages
3,105
Reaction score
3,528
Location
Grimes County, Texas
Experience
Just started
By the way, you mentioned the bottom parts turning dark. It's likely the top growth wasn't letting enough light get to it.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #7
OP
I

INeedHelpLol

Active Member
Member
Messages
421
Reaction score
179
Location
Manhattan NY
Experience
1 year
Yeah, That was only for the ludwigia repens. Also, when I recieved the stems, some of the stems already had some darkness to them, so they werent in the best conditon. I cut back the good parts and threw away the black stems. Im going to propogate some stems soon to increase the plantload, as Fahn recommended. The lighting should be enough, as I read that it gives off about 50 to 60 par.. a bit too much. I think thats probablt a possible cause for some of the algae,
 

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
6,919
Reaction score
4,068
Location
Florida, USA
Experience
3 years
INeedHelpLol said:
Ok, so this is what I will do:
6 hours of lighting, from 9 am to 3 pm.
Change feeding schedule
Try to get a hold of some thrive. Which one do you recommend? ThriveC, regular Thrive or the ThriveS? So many different names, different reviews, for the same things with just different levels of NPK.
I would do either Thrive or ThriveC. ThriveS has a lower nitrogen composition and no copper and is specifically for planted shrimp tanks. I use that one because I mainly keep shrimp.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #9
OP
I

INeedHelpLol

Active Member
Member
Messages
421
Reaction score
179
Location
Manhattan NY
Experience
1 year
Fahn said:
I would do either Thrive or ThriveC. ThriveS has a lower nitrogen composition and no copper and is specifically for planted shrimp tanks. I use that one because I mainly keep shrimp.
Gotcha, I will get Thrive C, mainly because i already have a decent amount of nitrates.
Should I get Excel ? I have a tuft of bba on one of my hygrophila leaves. It is not spreading or growing, it is just there. Colin claims ThriveC has some sort of bio-available form of Carbon- i don't know if that is feasible, as it is not in the ingredients nor does he state what it is...
 

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
6,919
Reaction score
4,068
Location
Florida, USA
Experience
3 years
INeedHelpLol said:
Gotcha, I will get Thrive C, mainly because i already have a decent amount of nitrates.
Should I get Excel ? I have a tuft of bba on one of my hygrophila leaves. It is not spreading or growing, it is just there. Colin claims ThriveC has some sort of bio-available form of Carbon- i don't know if that is feasible, as it is not in the ingredients nor does he state what it is...
You can treat bba with hydrogen peroxide if you have that on hand. 5 or 6 percent solution in a syringe, turn off your filtration, squirt it on the bba, and wait a few minutes before turning the filter back on. The algae should turn red and wither away within 24 hours. If you want, you can hit it with hydrogen peroxide AND Excel.

Bio-available carbon is a bit of a buzzword. Usually when people say that they mean glutaraldehyde, the primary ingredient in Excel. On the official site it says it contains one that is not glut-based so I'm not sure what it could be.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #11
OP
I

INeedHelpLol

Active Member
Member
Messages
421
Reaction score
179
Location
Manhattan NY
Experience
1 year
Ordered Excel and Thrive C. Should come the 14th. Got the excel cuz why not, lets try it out. If it doesn't harm (which it shouldn't if used correctly.) then it can only benefit, if you think about it. Now, for dosing- can't find syringes at home, so gonna have to go to the local farmacy to get one. Agh.
 

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
6,919
Reaction score
4,068
Location
Florida, USA
Experience
3 years
INeedHelpLol said:
Ordered Excel and Thrive C. Should come the 14th. Got the excel cuz why not, lets try it out. If it doesn't harm (which it shouldn't if used correctly.) then it can only benefit, if you think about it. Now, for dosing- can't find syringes at home, so gonna have to go to the local farmacy to get one. Agh.
You can actually dip an unused paintbrush or cotton swab in Excel and dab it onto the affected areas.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #13
OP
I

INeedHelpLol

Active Member
Member
Messages
421
Reaction score
179
Location
Manhattan NY
Experience
1 year
Cool idea, will try that out. Got a question about lighting. Should i make it so from 6 am to 9 am it ramps up to the set brightness of light, until 3 pm where it ramps down until 6 pm?
Or, should it be dark until 9am, and AT 9 am, it starts ramping up until 12 pm, and then ramps down until 3 pm, complete darkness from 3 to 6 am, where it starts ramping up again?
That was a whole mouthful, hope it was understandable.
 

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
6,919
Reaction score
4,068
Location
Florida, USA
Experience
3 years
INeedHelpLol said:
Cool idea, will try that out. Got a question about lighting. Should i make it so from 6 am to 9 am it ramps up to the set brightness of light, until 3 pm where it ramps down until 6 pm?
Or, should it be dark until 9am, and AT 9 am, it starts ramping up until 12 pm, and then ramps down until 3 pm, complete darkness from 3 to 6 am, where it starts ramping up again?
That was a whole mouthful, hope it was understandable.
Totally up to you, but I really wouldn't do more than 8 hours of light if possible.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #15
OP
I

INeedHelpLol

Active Member
Member
Messages
421
Reaction score
179
Location
Manhattan NY
Experience
1 year
Hmm, okay. I'll play around with the settings tomorrow morning. Finnex had the right idea, but their commitment to making the system accurate as possible wasnt the best. There are only 3 hour time frames.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #18
OP
I

INeedHelpLol

Active Member
Member
Messages
421
Reaction score
179
Location
Manhattan NY
Experience
1 year
Did a waterchange today (50%).
Used tetra aquasafe water conditoner like always. Do you guys dose ferts after a water change, or the day after, like 12 hours later? Or should I wait 24 hours, which would be the next day at 6 pm?
 

JettsPapa

Well Known
Member
Messages
3,105
Reaction score
3,528
Location
Grimes County, Texas
Experience
Just started
INeedHelpLol said:
Did a waterchange today (50%).
Used tetra aquasafe water conditoner like always. Do you guys dose ferts after a water change, or the day after, like 12 hours later? Or should I wait 24 hours, which would be the next day at 6 pm?
I usually fertilize immediately after water changes. I don't know of a reason to wait, but there may be one.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #20
OP
I

INeedHelpLol

Active Member
Member
Messages
421
Reaction score
179
Location
Manhattan NY
Experience
1 year
Trimmed the rotala and ludwigia all the wsy down and replanted the tops of the cut stems. Dosed for the first time today. Let us see how this goes.
 

New Threads

Similar Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
100
Guests online
2,123
Total visitors
2,223

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom