Question Plant trimming and leaves....

Nickguy5467

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
should i gather the cut leaves or just let them float and die or whatnot seems my fish nibble on them? (the planted ones i mean)

SM1199

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I always gather any loose leaves in the tank or else they find themselves in inconvenient places like stuck to the filter intake inhibiting the flow. They also die and start decomposing quite quickly and will make a mess/possible ammonia spike. The fish nibble on plants usually because there is a tiny bit of algae on them, they're often not interested in the leaves themselves, so there is no real benefit to leaving dead leaves in there especially since the fish will likely prefer the live ones with algae.

OP
Nickguy5467

Nickguy5467

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
SM1199 said:
I always gather any loose leaves in the tank or else they find themselves in inconvenient places like stuck to the filter intake inhibiting the flow. They also die and start decomposing quite quickly and will make a mess/possible ammonia spike. The fish nibble on plants usually because there is a tiny bit of algae on them, they're often not interested in the leaves themselves, so there is no real benefit to leaving dead leaves in there especially since the fish will likely prefer the live ones with algae.
ok . ill clean up then. thank you for your input

New Threads