20 Gallon Tank Plant to hide internal filter

Barkas

Dear All,

I'd like to hide the internal filter in my EHEIM aquaproLED 84 (the green thing in the right corner) . Initial attempt to use for this purpose Bacopa caroliniana failed. I am thinking now of Valisneria sp. as a primary candidate, and consider Java fern or Hygrophila polysperma as a runner-ups. Basically it should be fast grower, tall, tolerate a bit of a current, and ideally of South American origin. Any ideas and feedback are highly appreciated.

Kelvin12

Java fern grows like crazy and will easily reach the surface as well as spreads well. Best background plant I have found by a long shot. Will certainly cover your filter.

Upvote 0

CrackerboxPalace

Hornwort will grow like wildfire and has pretty dense foliage so there's another option.

Upvote 0

JLAquatics

If you want a really easy option for covering a ton of area without breaking the bank Water Wisteria is by far the best stem plant you could use for this. In fact, I do the same thing with the internal filter in my aquarium. Get yourself a few stems and let them multiply. If you clip the stems between nodes periodically, you will get more bushy growth. It is truly one of the best background covers to have in a planted aquarium. I have a Tetra 40i internal power filter directly behind this wall of Wisteria. (It does not originate from South America, however)
You must be registered to see images

Upvote 0

Barkas

If you want a really easy option for covering a ton of area without breaking the bank Water Wisteria is by far the best stem plant you could use for this. In fact, I do the same thing with the internal filter in my aquarium. Get yourself a few stems and let them multiply. If you clip the stems between nodes periodically, you will get more bushy growth. It is truly one of the best background covers to have in a planted aquarium. I have a Tetra 40i internal power filter directly behind this wall of Wisteria. (It does not originate from South America, however)
You must be registered to see images
Great, thanks to all. Is the water wisteria shrimp-resistant? My beautiful Limnophilas were suffering from cherry shrimps

Upvote 0

JLAquatics

Great, thanks to all. Is the water wisteria shrimp-resistant? My beautiful Limnophilas were suffering from cherry shrimps…
I have Cherry Shrimp in the tank pictured actually and they love hanging out in the plants. I also have some in a 10 gallon with Neocardinia and Amano Shrimp as well, it is a great plant to have!

Upvote 0

BPSabelhaus

Why rely on just a plant? Maybe some drift wood, rock etc… in conjunction with a plant?

Upvote 0

wateriswet

I've had good luck with Amazon swords getting tall and full in low tech setups and most creatures don't eat them

Upvote 0

yeti79

Potomogeton gayi may work for you and is a South American plant.

Upvote 0

CTYankee79

I’ll toss Pogostemon Octopus and Vallisneria into the ring

Upvote 0

Mortifera

I can agree on that, had one tiny piece of hornwort and within a week it was already half the size of me

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
midna

Random Great Thread!

New Plant Threads

Top Bottom