Plant Suggetions

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by Wintersprite, Jul 26, 2015.

1. W

Wintersprite Valued Member Member

Hello everyone, I am fairly new to the fish hobby and was thinking about adding a couple real plants to my 20 gallon high tank. I have an LED lighted hood that came with my top fin starter kit so I am not sure if the light is even alright to grow and care for live plants. If the lighting is alright what are some easy and low maintenance plants that I could add to my tank? The fish that will be residing in this tank are a betta, harlequin rasboras, and otocincluses.

Here is a picture of my current tank set up. Right now it has a marimo moss ball, a few silk plants, and some plastic plants. The substrate I am using is gravel. Thank you in advance for all of your suggestions.

Attached Files:

2. Jswin

Jswin Well Known Member Member

Water wisteria is easy keep. A lot of your swords don't require a lot of light. I also hear Val's are easy to keep as well

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. FullyCaffeinated

FullyCaffeinated Valued Member Member

Hello! Nice beta

You'll probably want to upgrade the lighting to something in the 6500k range which is closer to natural daylight than the LEDs. Some cheap options are 6500k CFL bulbs that run about $3 each at home improvement stores and fit in most 'regular' bulb fixtures. If not than your plant list is pretty short.

Moss balls, Java moss, water wisteria, water sprite, maybe moneywort (a stem plant with lobe leaves), and Anubis (slow growing but needs very little light).

https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/content/297-how-set-up-low-light-low-tech-planted-tank.html
    This link will help as well for low light plants. Doesn't work on the mobile app though.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

4. OP
    OP
    W

Wintersprite Valued Member Member

Thank you fully, he really is a neat little guy.

I am not able to get CFL blubs because my hood only has the option to use the snap in led lights. Are there any low light plants that i could plant that do not require you to tie them to a rock or driftwood? I am just wondering because I do not plan on adding any driftwood or large rocks to my tank at this point in time.

Thank you guys for all the help and suggestions I appreciate it. I do not plan on buying any plants for a little while so keep the suggestions comming.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice