Plant Suggestions For Low Light 10 Gallon

midna
I just recently set up a low light 10g. I have a beamswork ea full spectrum led, am using an inch of seachem flourite black capped with about an inch and a half of black diamond blasting sand, and will be dosing nilocg thrive+ twice a week. no co2.

i'd like suggestions on a low light tall (but not too tall -- the water column is only 9 inches) plant that will hide my stupidly big double sponge filter in the front right corner. i'm on my way to a lfs that just got a new shipment of plants in. any ideas?

thanks!

18-07-05-21-56-52-266_deco.jpg
20180706_143047.jpg

Repolie
Java moss and Bacopa are the only low light ones that I could think of that can hide those filters.

Bryangar
I don't think you needed to cap your flourite, it works as a cap itself or alone. It’s fine tho.

I would recommend italian val or corkscrew val, bacopa caroliana and monnerI would work good too. Also, anacharis and a rosette sword would look nice too.

Small Tanks
I second the Vals. Also crypt and anubus.

I like to hide my sponge filters behind wood and pots too, if you moves it to the other side you could tuck it behind that wood and then attach a nice crypt to the drift wood in front of it.

midna
bryangar I ran out of flourite lol. I used half of it in my old tank and threw it away after my frog died. I wasn't willing to buy a new bag, so I got bdbs instead.

so I ended up getting a bunch of hornwort and a crypt lutea/walkeri. I'll probably put some hornwort in front of the filter and the crypt in the back left corner, because the front of my tank doesn't get enough light.

the crypt needs to be buried, right? I didn't know it could be attached to driftwood. I have a crypt wendtiI in the middle of the tank, and since they grow taller than lutea, I wonder if I should go ahead and switch them... I know they don't like to be moved, but I literally just got it and it hasn't started to melt yet.

thanks for your suggestions!

Bryangar
bryangar I ran out of flourite lol. I used half of it in my old tank and threw it away after my frog died. I wasn't willing to buy a new bag, so I got instead.
Ohh, I see.

the crypt needs to be buried, right? I didn't know it could be attached to . I have a crypt wendtiI in the middle of the tank, and since they grow taller than lutea, I wonder if I should go ahead and switch them... I know they don't like to be moved, but I literally just got it and it hasn't started to melt yet.
Yes, crypts need to be buried, they are heavy root feeders.

You can switch them around, even if they do melt it’ll come back.

midna
okay, my crypts started melting after just a day lol and the hornwort sheds like crazy. i'm hoping it'll calm down once it gets used to my tank. it does a good job at sucking up extra ammonia. I don't exactly like it in front of my filter, so I'll probably look into getting something else after my tank has cycled, depending on availability. i'm almost tempted to just stuff it all in my snail prison and (try to) vacuum up all the needles

DuaneV
Put the sponge filter on the back wall and jam an anubias or two in between the sponges.

WTFish?
Hmm I just ordered a beamswork hoping to get “higher light” plants soon.

midna
DuaneV I might try something like that later. i'd have to move my plants around though and i'm not sure if the filter's flow would reach everywhere?? I don't want any dead spots. I could move it to the back right and just move the anubias in front of it. I didn't plant any crypts there. I think I can actually move the output head so that it's going off to the left. hmm...

IMG_20180706_233701_907.jpg

WTFish? I have the ea, which is smaller than the da (not as many leds). which did you get? i'm not sure how it's going to work out on my tank. I will probably upgrade sometime next year if I feel the need.

Bryangar
DuaneV I might try something like that later. i'd have to move my plants around though and i'm not sure if the filter's flow would reach everywhere?? I don't want any dead spots. I could move it to the back right and just move the anubias in front of it. I didn't plant any crypts there. I think I can actually move the output head so that it's going off to the left. hmm...

View attachment 454354

WTFish? I have the ea, which is smaller than the da (not as many leds). which did you get? i'm not sure how it's going to work out on my tank. I will probably upgrade sometime next year if I feel the need.
I like how it’s coming together!

WTFish?

View attachment 454354

Ohh ea and da? I don’t even know what that is so not sure. Lol!

midna
it says ea or da in the title of the product. top one is da, bottom is ea. see how da has two more rows of lights? they're also more expensive.

20180709_172242.jpg

WTFish?
it says ea or da in the title of the product. top one is da, bottom is ea. see how da has two more rows of lights? they're also more expensive.

View attachment 454360
Ohh I see, I did in fact pick the one with more lights just because, lol, got mine on eBay for $35, whew! Thanks for the info!
Also, didn’t mean to jack your thread for light info, sorry...

midna
it's okay! nice. since it's just a 10 gallon and not a huge deep tank, it might provide more adequate light for plants.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Thunder_o_b
Replies
Views
nikm128
Replies
Views
tankboy
Top Bottom