Question Plant suggestions for 20 gallon.

Finatic005

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hello Fishlore,

I have had some bad luck with plants but absolutely love the way they can sort of take over. Right now, I am heaading towards a jungle of italian val which seems to be the only plant I can keep alive. I couldn't even keep hornwort and duckweed alive! (probably because of too high flow for these particular plants but you know, that's just sad... lol). So, I want plants to go wild in there and make it look like a low-tech tank. I have a sponge filter and a eheim classic and 8 24kt gold cloud MM as well as 3 albino cories(getting bout 2-3 more soon, after COVID-19), 5 mystery snails (who enjoy burying), a bunch of bladder snails, tiny unidentified mts-like snails, amano shrimp, and ghost shrimp. PH is 7.8-8.0 (I know, a little high) and gH is 8, kH is 3.5-4.5 with cuttle bone inside tank. Substrate is a fluval stratum-sand mix. Any suggestions would be great!

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Crypt wendtiI 'bronze' would be a great contrast both color and texture wise to the vals. They do well in lower lighting and a nutrient-rich substrate. In my experience, crypts use a lot of potassium so a good macro fertilizer like NilocG Thrive will help your tank out as a whole.

I also think you could also do some Wendelov Java ferns, and pretty much any Anubias variety would do well in a tank with more shade like yours.

OP
Finatic005

Finatic005

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Fahn said:
Crypt wendtiI 'bronze' would be a great contrast both color and texture wise to the vals. They do well in lower lighting and a nutrient-rich substrate. In my experience, crypts use a lot of potassium so a good macro fertilizer like NilocG Thrive will help your tank out as a whole.

I also think you could also do some Wendelov Java ferns, and pretty much any Anubias variety would do well in a tank with more shade like yours.
Awesome, I'll look into those. At the moment I cannot figure out my algae problem. I know that I have lights on for too long and I only use root tabs (I only have vals). I do have the macro fert you mentioned shrimpsafe version. Thanks for the advice!

OP
Finatic005

Finatic005

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
JettsPapa said:
Water wisteria
I tried that and it died on me and I still don't know why. Water Wisteria, rotala indica, fissidens nobilis, and a few others and they all died. I have adequate lighting. Is there something in water that poisons plants? Val was the only survivor

Also, my anubias were doing great until my bladder snails ate all of them...

StarGirl15

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Probably just the low lighting. I know Vals don't particularly like Excel.

OP
Finatic005

Finatic005

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
StarGirl15 said:
Probably just the low lighting. I know Vals don't particularly like Excel.
I have decently high lighting. I think the water wisteria melted away because it was originally grow above water. I have also purposely avoided using excel because of that. Thanks!

New Threads