Plant Suggestions For 20 Gallon Tank Help

1. DylanM

DylanM Well Known Member Member

21B16F42-1B5B-468F-B030-BBE5A0018F61.jpeg For the right side and middle of my tank I am interested in making it densely planted with tall-growing bushy plants good for shrimp and small fish. Also looking to add some sort of moss on the driftwood to the left and some sort of carpeting plant (micro sword is healthy but growing sparsely) on the right. I would love suggestions!

I have a DIY CO2 system with a finnex 24/7 planted+ light and lightly dose liquid ferts.

2. Lonnie

Lonnie Valued Member Member

Will be watching this thread. Curious to see what people have to say.

3. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

My cherry shrimp used to like hygrophila, that's a good plant for them to graze from.
    I also had best success with moss balls and banana plants, they loved those.

4. OP
    OP
    DylanM

Already got 2 moss balls, however the hygrophila looks like a good mid ground plant, I will definitely look into replacing the Argentine sword with one of these.

5. aussieJJDude

aussieJJDude Well Known Member Member

For moss, I reccomend fissidens. Its compact in appearance and the shrimp love grazing it!

As for bushy plants, I would suggest adding some vall to form the backdrop.

6. Dan12boy

Dan12boy Valued Member Member

7. OP
    OP
    DylanM

Jungle val definitely added to my list, moss looks awesome but very expensive ($24.99 for a 3x3 inch mat!). After some searching online my plan is Hygrophila pinnatifida, Ambulia, jungle val, moss (love your suggestion but due to price might just do some basic java moss). Now I just need a low-demand carpeting plant due to the fact that I have basic black diamond blasting sand, and really don't want to go through the trouble of dirting the aquarium. Baby tears might not do so well due to that, I might do sagittaria subulata as that seems not very demanding in terms of substrate nutrients and I think I can get away with some root tabs.

8. OP
    OP
    DylanM

Going to be ordering plants soon, more suggestions would be appreciated.

9. OP
    OP
    DylanM

I very much want to do baby tears after trying to find a similar-looking alternative and was unsuccessful. Would root tabs + CO2 injection + good lighting be enough for them to carpet in my tank?

10. Mazeus

Mazeus Well Known Member Member

For shrimp,I'd get some subwassertang and attach it to some driftwood or a rock.

11. -Mak-

-Mak- Well Known Member Member

Possibly to stay alive and grow slowly above the root tabs, but root tabs are limited to little pockets under sand so not all of them would have access to nutrients. Maybe try micranthemum monte carlo with a water column fert as well

12. OP
    OP
    DylanM

Hm, I think I'm going to avoid carpetting plants until I can either dirt my tank or get a fine, black nutrient-rich substrate.

13. OP
    OP
    DylanM

My current plans: Jungle Val, Dwarf Sag, Myria Green (or would ambulia look better? I think ambulia looks almost hairy but it does look like it would provide much lusher growth), and Riccia Fluitans for my moss. I know, Riccia isn't actually a moss but I think it is the best choice for something moss-like to tie to my drift wood, shown in the picture.

14. aussieJJDude

Just remember you constantly have to tie riccia down!

15. v

varmint Well Known Member Member

Quick tip. Don't plant Vals if you intend on using Excel.

16. OP
    OP
    DylanM

In my post I stated I'm injecting CO2, I think that'd be overkill.

17. Koiman

Koiman Valued Member Member

For a carpetting plant, pearlweed would look amazing in there. Sometimes it is referred to as regular baby tears, but the scientific name (important) is Hemianthus Micranthemoides.

18. OP
    OP
    DylanM

Looks really nice, I am thinking of using the money I have to buy black flourite sand, then buy a carpeting plant once that's in my tank. I would dirt but I plan on eventually getting dwarf chain loaches, and I really need to center the substrate around their needs as they will be quite expensive in comparison to my other fish ($70 for a school of 6)

19. aussieJJDude

The one in the trade is in fact not H.microanthemoides, but in fact H. glomeratus! ;)