Plant Suggestion For 10 Gallon

Jim

You have plenty for a 10 already. Your Val’s and crypts will spread and after a few months you will be trying to,give them away.

BReefer97

Dwarf hair grass is pretty hard to get started, you can make it work if you have really good lighting that reaches the substrate. I would suggest rosette sword and amazon sword as a background type plant. Rosette sword is a bit smaller than amazon sword and the leaves are beautifully shaped (my favorite aquatic plant), and amazon sword is a good plant to cover up empty space with. Maybe get some java fern and anubias nana as well because they’re not substrate rooting plants, you can tie them to driftwood or decorations throughout the tank with fishing line or cotton thread (the thread will deteriorate after a little while but the plants should be rooted to whatever they were tied to at that point). The Java fern is also a darker shade of green than the other plants you’ve chosen so I think they’ll look good with what you’ve got.

RainBetta

I agree with info above, but also, it's probably just me, but 10G seems a little small for a betta community. Imo just 1 betta would be in heaven in a 10G

abarb

You have plenty for a 10 already. Your Val’s and crypts will spread and after a few months you will be trying to,give them away.

I have other tanks I can move them to. I am actually trying to get them to spread in this tank.

abarb

Dwarf hair grass is pretty hard to get started, you can make it work if you have really good lighting that reaches the substrate. I would suggest rosette sword and amazon sword as a background type plant. Rosette sword is a bit smaller than amazon sword and the leaves are beautifully shaped (my favorite aquatic plant), and amazon sword is a good plant to cover up empty space with. Maybe get some java fern and anubias nana as well because they’re not substrate rooting plants, you can tie them to driftwood or decorations throughout the tank with fishing line or cotton thread (the thread will deteriorate after a little while but the plants should be rooted to whatever they were tied to at that point). The Java fern is also a darker shade of green than the other plants you’ve chosen so I think they’ll look good with what you’ve got.

The tank is only 12 inches tall with about 2-3 inches of substrate (because of dirt) so it has a height of 9-10 inches for light. Is this short enough for dwarf hairgrass? I might get anubias and java fern if I can find some cheaper ones (all stores around my area have them at least $6 each). I can glue them onto driftwood or lava rock.
I’ll probably buy a rosette sword

abarb

I agree with info above, but also, it's probably just me, but 10G seems a little small for a betta community. Imo just 1 betta would be in heaven in a 10G

I know it’s kind of small but I have more tanks that I could put them in if the betta is aggressive (36 g community, other 10g, 15 gallon with betta that is not aggressive.)

upinak

I know it’s kind of small but I have more tanks that I could put them in if the betta is aggressive (36 g community, other 10g, 15 gallon with betta that is not aggressive.)

I have a male betta and five female bettas in a 36 with a couple pygmy cories, a couple o-cats and I will be putting my thread fish in there soon. I am also going to be putting my 5 mollies in there with them. The betta has been around all of these fish at one time or another. You should be good. The more fish, the less aggressive.

RainBetta

It's not really about agression. IMO a community that small could be very stressful and pushing the filter to its limit. I personally just prefer less stocked tanks. They're easier to clean, less stressful for the fish, cleaner for the fish, he'll feel like it is his own territory, and they leave more room for plants, rocks, etc. If you really want to have a community, that's totally fine, but I would just personally chose one or the other.

WinterSoldier.

If you want a carpet plant I'd go with dwarf subulata, its easy and looks great

abarb

It's not really about agression. IMO a community that small could be very stressful and pushing the filter to its limit. I personally just prefer less stocked tanks. They're easier to clean, less stressful for the fish, cleaner for the fish, he'll feel like it is his own territory, and they leave more room for plants, rocks, etc. If you really want to have a community, that's totally fine, but I would just personally chose one or the other.
I think the filter will be fine (adding another bag of ceramic rings).
Do you have any more suggestions for plants?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 72

abarb

If you want a carpet plant I'd go with dwarf subulata, its easy and looks great
I will be getting dwarf sag which is the same as dwarf subulata (sagittaria subulata)

RainBetta

I think the filter will be fine (adding another bag of ceramic rings).
Do you have any more suggestions for plants?
I just personally don't like stocking tanks to their maximum.

As for plants, I like all the ones you've got picked out. Anubias is pretty hardy and has worked great for me. The thick, dark leaves would be a little different from the ones already chosen. I hope everything works out!

abarb

I just personally don't like stocking tanks to their maximum.

As for plants, I like all the ones you've got picked out. Anubias is pretty hardy and has worked great for me. The thick, dark leaves would be a little different from the ones already chosen. I hope everything works out!

I like anubias. I’ll try to find some smaller ones because I have an anubias congensis in my 36 gallon tank and it looks too big for a 10 gallon. Which anubias are smaller?

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
nikm128
Replies
Views
-Mak-
Replies
Views
Rye3434
  • Question
Replies