Plant substrate help

Geef64

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Ok I am redoing my 55gal freshwater tank. It will be planted but not sure if I should go with sand or a plant substrate like "CaribSea Flora Max" to put in the tank. Any help would be appreciated

AmazonPassion

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I also dirted my tank as well. The brand I used was Organic Miracle Grow Choice and capped it with a combination of PetCo Black sand and leftover white sand.

I didn't use any fancy plant substrate.

cichlidman

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
imo plant substrates work great if your willing to shell out the cash for them. But the soil capped with sand works just as good for less than half the price. if your its going to be low light id skip both and just do sand or gravel

OP
G

Geef64

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Where did you get the soil and how much of each do you put

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Floramax is nice and simple. There are cheaper methods as mentioned or you could skip a plant substrate all together but I do suggest getting one if you plan to add a lot of plants.

OP
G

Geef64

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
jetajockey said:
Floramax is nice and simple. There are cheaper methods as mentioned or you could skip a plant substrate all together but I do suggest getting one if you plan to add a lot of plants.
What would you call a lot of plants. I have 2 large pieces of drift wood I put in and not planning on having it to where all you see is plants just trying to make it look nice and add cover for the fish

oscarsbud

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I got both my potting soil and playsand at Lowe's. Think I paid less the $25 for the whole lot and had enough soil and sand to do 2 10 gallon and a 5 gallon planted tank besides.

AmazonPassion

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Geef64 said:
What would you call a lot of plants. I have 2 large pieces of drift wood I put in and not planning on having it to where all you see is plants just trying to make it look nice and add cover for the fish
If that is all you are going to have then I would just get regular sand.

New Threads