Plant substrate help

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by Geef64, Jan 6, 2013.

1. Geef64Valued MemberMember

Ok i am redoing my 55gal freshwater tank. It will be planted but not sure if i should go with sand or a plant substrate like "CaribSea Flora Max" to put in the tank. Any help would be appreciated

2. oscarsbudWell Known MemberMember

When I did mine I put a layer of organic potting soil on the bottom and topped it off with playsand. Other people have used pool filter sand.

3. AmazonPassionModeratorModerator Member

I also dirted my tank as well. The brand I used was Organic Miracle Grow Choice and capped it with a combination of PetCo Black sand and leftover white sand.

I didn't use any fancy plant substrate.

4. cichlidmanWell Known MemberMember

imo plant substrates work great if your willing to shell out the cash for them. But the soil capped with sand works just as good for less than half the price. if your its going to be low light id skip both and just do sand or gravel

5. Geef64Valued MemberMember

Where did you get the soil and how much of each do you put

6. jetajockeyFishlore VIPMember

Floramax is nice and simple. There are cheaper methods as mentioned or you could skip a plant substrate all together but I do suggest getting one if you plan to add a lot of plants.

7. Geef64Valued MemberMember

What would you call a lot of plants. I have 2 large pieces of drift wood i put in and not planning on having it to where all you see is plants just trying to make it look nice and add cover for the fish

8. cichlidmanWell Known MemberMember

potting soil as long as it is organic

9. oscarsbudWell Known MemberMember

I got both my potting soil and playsand at Lowe's. Think I paid less the $25 for the whole lot and had enough soil and sand to do 2 10 gallon and a 5 gallon planted tank besides.

10. AmazonPassionModeratorModerator Member

If that is all you are going to have then I would just get regular sand.

11. cichlidmanWell Known MemberMember

yea i second the just sand

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice