Plant Substrate For Shrimp Tank

1. BottomDweller

BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

I want to turn my 5 gallon into a heavily planted tank with cherry shrimp (or some other colour variety). I have been looking into plant substrates but most of them seem to lower Ph. My tap water is pretty much ideal for cherry shrimp (Ph of 7.6) so I don't want to lower it. The substrate will be capped with sand. Could you recommend a good plant substrate that is safe for shrimp and does not lower Ph? Thanks

2. -Mak-

-Mak- Well Known Member Member

Currently the only two I can think of are eco-complete and flourite, though those aren't really much compared to things like ADA soils and Controsoil.

I'll edit this if I think of anything else.

3. OP
    OP
    BottomDweller

Could I put I thin layer of sand on top of those?

I have heard fluorite contains copper? Is this true and if so will it harm the shrimp?

4. Culprit

Culprit Fishlore VIP Member

Fluval shrimp stratum. Specifically designed for shrimp and great for plants. Since your ph is really good already it will stay mostly the same.

5. -Mak-

-Mak- Well Known Member Member

Yes, sand would be okay, but over time it would probably sink below the granules. Same for any other substrate.

The copper in fluorite is insoluble.

Fluval stratum does buffer but less so than some other soils, I believe. Depends on your KH but like Culprit said, probably won't change much.

6. OP
    OP
    BottomDweller