Question Plant Substrate And Kuhli Loaches?

Kova

Reaction score
Okay, so I'm going to set up my 20gal long tank for my guppies pretty soon, and I want to add a few other types of fish, mainly a few that'll help take care of snails and algae that are sure to form. Most plants will be transplanted from my current 10gal setup.

It is going to be a HEAVILY planted tank, hardscaped using mainly mopani wood and some rocks (if I find ones I like).

I like taking care of ecosystems, rather than JUST fish, so all of my tanks include shrimp and, though I hate them sometimes, snails. I would LOVE to have gotten a snail species that would be super beneficial without being a total pain in the neck, like mysteries, apples, or even ramshorns, however I of course got stuck with bladder snails (The dang hitchhikers). So, as one can expect, they have an exponentially growing population. Right now I'm just yanking them out as I see fit, but in my 20gal I want some natural predators for them, and I was hoping to get some fishy predators, rather than assassin snails. (As for the algae, I'd planned on getting a trio of otos and more shrimp to add to my fleet).

Considering it'll just be a 20gal long, I knew the only type of loach that could happily live in this tank are kuhlis, which is fine because I think they're ADORABLE!

The problem is that I don't intend to have sand as my substrate. I plan to use the Fluval stratum substrate that's made specifically for planted tanks.

------

So now that you've read the backstory, would I be able to keep some kuhli's with this kind of substrate? The pieces are not sharp at all, in fact they're more like little balls, so I wouldn't be worried about them getting injured on it, but I still worry about having them considering that I've always read that sand is what they should be kept on.

Thanks for the help!

CaptainAquatics

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Okay, so I'm going to set up my 20gal long tank for my guppies pretty soon, and I want to add a few other types of fish, mainly a few that'll help take care of snails and algae that are sure to form. Most plants will be transplanted from my current 10gal setup.

It is going to be a HEAVILY planted tank, hardscaped using mainly mopani wood and some rocks (if I find ones I like).

I like taking care of ecosystems, rather than JUST fish, so all of my tanks include shrimp and, though I hate them sometimes, snails. I would LOVE to have gotten a snail species that would be super beneficial without being a total pain in the neck, like mysteries, apples, or even ramshorns, however I of course got stuck with bladder snails (The dang hitchhikers). So, as one can expect, they have an exponentially growing population. Right now I'm just yanking them out as I see fit, but in my 20gal I want some natural predators for them, and I was hoping to get some fishy predators, rather than assassin snails. (As for the algae, I'd planned on getting a trio of otos and more shrimp to add to my fleet).

Considering it'll just be a 20gal long, I knew the only type of loach that could happily live in this tank are kuhlis, which is fine because I think they're ADORABLE!

The problem is that I don't intend to have sand as my substrate. I plan to use the Fluval stratum substrate that's made specifically for planted tanks.

------

So now that you've read the backstory, would I be able to keep some kuhli's with this kind of substrate? The pieces are not sharp at all, in fact they're more like little balls, so I wouldn't be worried about them getting injured on it, but I still worry about having them considering that I've always read that sand is what they should be kept on.

Thanks for the help!
Hi! Kulis I believe so not eat snails as much as some other loaches. I would recommend yoyo loaches (some people may say they need a bigger tank but I think a 20 long is fine). They will obliterate any snails in the tank. Hope this helps (any yoyo loaches can live with a gravel substrate).

CaptainAquatics

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Hi! Kulis I believe so not eat snails as much as some other loaches. I would recommend yoyo loaches (some people may say they need a bigger tank but I think a 20 long is fine). They will obliterate any snails in the tank. Hope this helps (any yoyo loaches can live with a gravel substrate).
I just realized I said gravel substrate. I mean they can live with your substrate. Sorry, lol

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom