Plant stocking advice

1. EverHopeful Initiate Member

Hi all,

I am in the process of setting up a new aquarium - a 36 gallon bowfront. While I am waiting for the driftwood to sink, I have been looking into what plants to get. I had a few plants in a previous aquarium, but this will be my first real planted tank, so I am hoping to get some advice.

The tank is 19" deep, with a Finnex 24/7 light, which I intend to operate in 24 hour mode.

There will be separate sand (1" deep in the center/front) and gravel (1" to 3" deep around the sides and back) areas. The plants will be located mainly along the sides and back, so in the gravel areas. I am looking to provide plants to provide security for the fish, but I also want to leave adequate open space for swimming.

I am looking for easy care plants, and don't intend to add CO2. What I have come up with so far is:

Background plants - along the back and sides:
    Amazon Sword in one back corner
    Corkscrew Vallisneria along the back
    Creeping Charlie along the opposite side from the Amazon Sword

Middle plants:
    Scattered around the driftwood, still in (or on, in some cases) the gravel:
    Banana Plant
    A couple Cryptocoryne Wendtii
    Another Crypt? Basically, looking for a smaller plant that will have leaves at the end of stems. I could go with a Tiger Lotus, or just another Banana plant, though ideally I am hoping for something with smaller leaves. I am really open to suggestions here.

Along the edge between the gravel and sand areas:
    Some Dwarf Sagittaria
    Several Anubias - not sure which kind would be best. Maybe Nana? Something with broad leaves that the little (dwarf) corys can nap on.

Floating:
    Preferably Azolla, if I can find it, otherwise Duckweed. I will keep this somewhat thinned out. I understand that chickens may like them as a treat, so I don't mind that they will multiply, as long as they don't start taking over other areas of the aquarium than the surface, where they can be rounded up easily.

Will any of these plants not be okay with the lighting? Any other issues I need to consider?

I plan to use plant tabs, at least to get everything started, especially since there will be no fish to begin with. I will add more if/as needed. Which plants will benefit from root tabs? (I assume the Sword, the Vals, Crypts, Sag and Creeping Charlie?) Any suggestions on which tabs would be best to use with these plants?

Any suggestions on liquid fertilizer (brand and frequency), to get started? I believe that I need to avoid Seachem's Excel (and I assume any liquid CO2) with crypts, correct?

Thanks for any suggestions, advice or words of wisdom!

2. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Bumping this up for you

3. clk89 Fishlore VIP Member

Most of the plants you listed should work with a finnex 24/7. The only ones I am unsure about is the tiger lotus and saggitaria.

Anubias nana would probably work fine for that tank too. I also like water wisteria, I allow mine to float and my betta likes to rest on it. Moss are nice to decorate rocks, and driftwood, I like the looks of Christmas moss myself.

As far as ferts go I've been using root tabs I bought from amazon made from osmocot inside a capsule. My plants are all healthy and green in my ten gallon. I also use flourish liquid fertilizer. Api root tabs, and leaf zone (liquid fert) work fine too, as does peabodyparadise root tabs.

4. EverHopeful Initiate Member

Thanks! :)

Thanks. I believe the saggitaria needs high light to carpet, but since I am not concerned with it forming a carpet - just a bit of green between some river rocks - I am hoping it will be okay. If I decide to get a tiger lily, I will do some research. The water wisteria looks pretty interesting, too. I will have to look into it as well.

I'm glad to hear that several of the root tabs should work fine. How often do you use the liquid fertilizer?

5. clk89 Fishlore VIP Member

I use the liquid fertilizer once a week, the root tabs stay in for a couple months or so.

6. EverHopeful Initiate Member

Thanks! I have some root tabs and liquid fertilizer on order now. As soon as the driftwood decides to sink (at least it is floating a little lower now...) I will be able to start working on getting it planted.