Plant Shelf

MudHog
I have a tall 39G tank (22" in height) and I'm wanting to build some shelves inside the tank itself. I once used the plastic shelf kit, but they didn't last to long. Didn't take long before the suction cups would start to slide and the shelf would fall.

What I have in mind is some flagstone or pavers stone. I'm wanting to build the top about 4-5" x 12". Around the edges I will have a small ledge so I can hold rocks and put plants inside it. Total height I'm shooting for is 10".

Another idea I have is making it out of plexiglass that I have. PG would be much easier to work with and would allow for some various shapes to be cut out. I could then secure rocks to it to blend it in.

Trpimp147
hmm I have glass sheets about 3 inch wide by liek 18 inch long wish I could send ya some. just would have to silcon it in place and prop another peice cut to the right hight and you wouldnt even see it in the tank

MudHog
man that would fit good. I could then make an actual shelf and not support it down to the bottom. Literally make a bookshelf. You got me thinking on that now, I've seen sheet glass at Lowe's and would just need to buy a glass cutter.

Question, if I do make a actual shelf, how do I attach it to my aquarium glass? I've read about letting it cure 24 hours before putting into the aquarium water, do I remove some water, dry the surface and then refill 24 hours later?

Trpimp147
well I would remove all fish and decor and dry the tank and put ether epoxy or clear silcon in there and let it cure for 24 hours and set up the tank with the decor let it run for an hour or so then put the fish back in but having a bunch of fish out of its tank isn't the best thing unless you have another tank for them to be in that may be a little over stocked for the time being but putting the other filter on the tank should help with that. but you can always do it. I would prob do it your way a lot less mess just some times I like things perfect even thought its not needed. ether way it will work just as long as you make sure it can support the weight your going to put on it. good luck and be carefull with cutting the glass

MudHog
I don't have another tank to use . Looks like that limits me to going with a free standing shelf by itself.

tkfury
Would something like work for you? With the slate you can even build in your own caves under the caves.

Edit: "caves under the caves" sheesh - think I meant to say under the plants.

MudHog
Yep, that helps. Maybe I should use slate instead of flagstone. Flagstone is very sandy and pourous.

darkwolf29a
I just redid my 40 gallon tank into a catfish tank. I got some rocks from Menard's and some slate. It's some very nice cover.

MudHog
Menard's have a website?

Kevin
I really want to do that, but I don't think it would be good to try when my fish are swimming around getting in my way

MudHog
try working in the tank with Tiger Barbs, them little things constantly pick at my arm when I'm moving plants around. Instead of fin nipping, they like to arm and skin nip.

Wolfgang8810
hey there! sounds like you're ready for some plants. My planted tank is way over grown I can send you some if you would like. I have some corkscrew val and java moss at my disposal. pm me your addy if you're interested also where is a full tank shot?

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
SouthAmericanCichlids
Replies
Views
tjander
Replies
Views
Fisch
Replies
Views