Dismiss Notice
Hi there! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To log in, go here.

To become a member please register here.

Plant-safe Centerpiece Fish Suggestions? 29 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by pakals, Jan 31, 2019.

1. pakalsValued MemberMember

My dwarf gourami just died by the DGIV (I believe that's what it's called?). I'm already planning on going to a local fish store I just discovered this coming Saturday, and am wondering what "centerpiece" fish I could keep an eye out for. I love angelfish, but my gourami absolutely devoured my ludwigia repens (but none of my other plants), so I'm looking for one that may be a bit nicer toward it and angelfish being cichlids, I'm a bit reluctant to get one (unless there's some sort of plant-safe variant). I maintain the tank at 77 Fahrenheit. Any suggestions are welcome.

Currently, I have:
    1 false julii cory (actually three-lined, I think)
    2 emerald corys
    2 mystery snails
    2 nerite snails

I know the corys need schools. I'm getting more this Saturday to get their numbers up.

2. irowValued MemberMember

29g is pretty cramped for an angel imo, go with a honey gourami (or pair) if you want, they aren't affected by DGD.

3. nikm128Fishlore VIPMember

Any fish can nibble plants, angels are very toned downed cichlids and I see nothing in the tank they'd have an issue. That said 29g is the bare minimum for one

4. pakalsValued MemberMember

I realize 29 is bare minimum for angels and not necessarily ideal. My dwarf gourami was really stressed out in a 10g, when they allegedly do okay in tanks that small (he was too busy glass-surfing to ever bother my plants in the 10, I guess; in the 29, he stripped most of the stems of their leaves quicker than the ludwigia could keep up).

From what I've read, most gouramis will eat delicate-leafed plants pretty quickly. A betta, perhaps, if I can find one that'll tolerate a community tank? Or, just the corys, at the very least.

5. nikm128Fishlore VIPMember

You could do a school of neon or cardinal tetras, they don't usually bother plants in my experience

6. pakalsValued MemberMember

I was hoping to get a school of some kind of tetra in addition to a slightly larger fish, but I've been focusing mostly on the corys, so I haven't looked too much at parameters, stocking, etc. Looking at what the lfs keeps in stock will probably help, too.

7. nikm128Fishlore VIPMember

I'd definitely fill out the school of cory's first, then add the tetras, then I'd go with an oplaline or gold gourami since I've never had them mess with plants

8. CandyCane701Well Known MemberMember

From what I've read angelfish are pretty plant destructive. Maybe a betta?

9. nikm128Fishlore VIPMember

They're actually not; just not great for a 29g