Plant Recommendations

salerk5

Hi all,

I currently have a java moss ball, a fern (not sure what kind), dwarf hairgrass, and I purchased a few java ferns on eBay that should come soon. I also purchased mesh to make a java moss carpet.

I am recently getting back into aquariums. I currently have a cycled 20g tank with 5 adult mollies, 3 baby mollies, 2 mystery snails, and a pleco (he will be going in my 55g when he gets bigger.) Can anyone recommend me some good plants for the setup? I want to have plants that don't require soil since I only have black sand as substrate.

Any help would be appreciated,

Thanks

Maryellen

I have some Pogostemon stellatus octopus, it grows so fast and fills out tanks nicely. Easy to care for. Highly recommend. It’s planted in my black sand too.

salerk5

Maryellen said:
I have some Pogostemon stellatus octopus, it grows so fast and fills out tanks nicely. Easy to care for. Highly recommend. It’s planted in my black sand too.
I found a listing for it on eBay, thank you! I may have to buy some, it's very pretty. I just need something to fill out the tank well

Mudminnow

Some other plants that are worth trying: Hygrophila polysperma, Hygrophila difformis, Rotala rotundifolia, Ceratopteris thalictroides, Cryptocoryne wendii, vallisneria, anubias, bucephalandra. I've found all these to be hardy and grow in most tanks.

Some of these may not be legal in TX though, so make sure you check that before buying.

JettsPapa

I'll second the recommendation above for crypts. They'll do fine in sand. Mine are.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom