Plant Questions

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by michaelmcg, Apr 19, 2017.

1. m

michaelmcg New Member Member

I've seen online that you can attach plants to wood and rocks with glue. Does any glue work? What sort of stuff should I avoid?

Also, is there such a thing as too much lighting? I know to avoid algae it should only be on for ~8 hours a day but if I put a second light on my hood would that mess anything up?

2. TaDah

TaDah Valued Member Member

good morning :)

for attaching plants i would look into fishing line (that you can remove once your plant has attached) or cotton thread to attach the plants. You dont know it the glue could be harmful to the fish. also, for the lighting, if its just a simple hood with led lights you may want to possibly look into upgrading (if your funds allow it) for its not the proper lighting to grow plants :)

3. OP
    OP
    m

michaelmcg New Member Member

Didn't think of fishing line! Already have plenty of it. The bulb says its a full spectrum 17 watt. Is that what I need and if I wanted my tank to be brighter could I just put some cheap LEDs in addition to what is already there?

4. TaDah

TaDah Valued Member Member

when it comes to proper lighting, someone with more knowledge of planted tanks should be of assistance. Im only a noob to the plant world. when it comes to the mechanics of it like PAR talk and such, i get lost.

Possibly try putting some low light plants is and see how they fair with your current set up :)

5. -Mak-

-Mak- Well Known Member Member

Does it state the color temperature anywhere? Aim for 6500 K. Adding LEDs will certainly brighten the tank but unless they are plant LEDs, it is unlikely they will help.
    Algae is a big issue if you have too much light and not enough CO2 and nutrients.
    How many gallons and how tall is your tank?

Use glue that is only cyanoacrylate.

6. Heather L

Heather L Valued Member Member

I tried the glue once, it turned very white and was noticeable and unpleasant to look at. I now use cotton thread.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice