plant questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

BBisbee

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have a 5 gallon that I am just starting to cycle. I'm doing a fish in cycle with my little Betta Bowie. I am using a small sponge filter. My temp is set to 80. I have 2 Marimo Moss balls and 1 Java Fern. My questions are, should I have more than that to help with the cycle? And my fern is still pretty wilty and has lots of tears and brown spots with holes. Its got a baby on a leaf but it came to me that way. Is it going to make it? He loves it. I was told to not do anything for them. That they would live off of Bowie. Is this correct?

tokiodreamy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hello!

Plants do not help cycle your tank. They help take in ammonia/nitrites/nitrates. How did you plant the java fern? Make sure you didnt bury the ribosome. Are you using any ferts? What's your lighting? How long is your light on? I just bought some more java ferns and took out my brown ones (brought them out in the cold. It killed them) because they were only getting worse. I did however pull off their sprouts. If they're a decent size with at least 2 leaves you can always take them off and plant them.
Java ferns are low light plants, but I still use liquid fertilizers and mine are thriving and spreading. I just use API leaf zone

BBisbee

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hello Tokio, I didnt plant the fern. The root is exposed. Im not using any ferts. I have many posts in this forum. Im new to this and had some major issues with fin rot, then ich. Someone suggested cycling and plants because of his health issues. Which he is now 100 percent better. But I have only had the filter in for a week so im just starting. Just thought it couldnt hurt to have plants. I was told the fern was the easiest and didnt need ferts because my fish waste would feed it. I have an led light that came with the tank. Its on a regular schedule wih me. On in the morning, off at night. But they arent under direct light. They are off to the side. So do I get rid of leaves that have brown dead spots on them and just put the baby somewhere? The baby has a ton of little roots.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

BBisbee

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Plant stocking

Good morning everyone,
I am in the process of cycling a 5 gallon that my little Bowie is in. He has a couple of moss balls and 1 Java Fern. I really want to replace the rest of his silk plants with live ones. How many is too many plants? Can I get a few different kinds? Still a newbie, especially with plants.

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Really there's no such thing as too many plants as long as there's still swimming room. You can get as many different species of plants as you want too!

BBisbee

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'm leaving the rhizome exposed, just tied to his log house. I only have glass marbles on the bottom. I'm just using the LED lighting that came installed in the tank. The tank also gets indirect sunlight for most of the day. I'm not using any ferts or co2

tokiodreamy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I usually move the babies once they have at least 2 leaves on the ribosome. Some people let theirs grow longer than that. Plants definitely cannot hurt your cycle! They just won't help cycle it faster. I still always use ferts. If you dont see a need to then you don't need to just if you start seeing issues with the new leaves then you might want to try it. You can cut off any dying leaves

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Dream Tank Type?

• Freshwater

Votes: 16 66.7%
  • Saltwater

Votes: 9 37.5%

Top Bottom