Plant Quarantine Question

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by Shannon Griscom, Apr 19, 2018.

1. Shannon Griscom

Shannon Griscom Valued Member Member

So I'm getting some plants in by mail and for certain reasons I won't be able to add them to my aquarium for at least a day afterwards. I plan to keep them submerged in a five gallon bucket but is an airstone necessary?
    FYI: They will be swords and anubias.

2. RyRyTheAquariumGuy

RyRyTheAquariumGuy Valued Member Member

Hi there! I have never heard of quarantining plants! I guess if you fear pest snails transferring thats a good idea! You seem to be very dedicated, I have and probably will never quarantine a plant. Although, I'd love to learn/hear some reasons for quarantining plants. I'll follow along this thread for sure!

3. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Hi, no you don’t need an airstone if they’re only going to be there a short time.
    I don’t know where your plants are coming from but if you have inverts then I would suggest a quarantine period of a couple of weeks with daily water changes.
    I learned the hard way having a complete shrimp wipeout, that sometimes plants are treated with chemicals before shipping

4. OP
    OP
    Shannon Griscom

Shannon Griscom Valued Member Member

I'm medicating the tank they're going in and I do have amanos in there just thought better safe than sorry.;)

5. JoeCamaro

JoeCamaro Well Known Member Member

I bleach dip them.

• Make a 19/1 water/bleach mix in a bucket
    • Dip your plants for about a minute (I usually gently shake them in the water left to right)
    • Remove from bucket
    • Put under running water. I use the mist or rain setting of my hose nozzle
    • Put in another bucket with water and add water conditioner/dechlorinator
    • Wait a minute or two
    • Put in tank

I have never had snails or water parameters effects doing this. I even did it to java moss which was filled with tiny snails. It got rid of them all.

6. Shivermetimbers

Shivermetimbers Valued Member Member

treating for pests can be done by method above. I don't think you need an air stone though. I had a couple plants I picked up which were in those little plastic pots and the rock wool. I kept them submerged in a large flower vase with dechlorinated water in it on my kitchen counter near a window getting indirect light for a few days before I could get around to planting them. These were crypts and suffered no ill effects at all, looked exactly the way I put them in, keeping them in a bucket should be fine, but be sure they aren't in complete dark if it'll be more than a day IMO

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice