Plant Placement Suggestions

Discussion in 'Aquarium Aquascaping' started by Ravynn, Apr 15, 2019.

1. RavynnWell Known MemberMember

[​IMG]

For my 40 breeder i'm getting 2x large bunches of java fern, 2x pots of crypt undulata, 1x pot of crypt wendtii, 1x tiger lotus, 2x large 12" amazon swords from my other tank, and 2x bunches of jungle val.

I was thinking one amazon sword in the back left corner behind the driftwood and the other one in the back right corner. Jungle val along the right side. I'm not sure where to position the other plants.

Any ideas? I'd like to keep the plants more towards the back/middle. I also have some biege/brown/white river rocks I can use.

2. jmaldoWell Known MemberMember

Nice start. I would plant the Sword and Vals to help hide the heater and move the sponge to the back rear corner with a crypt to hide it. The RTL will make a "Good" Centerpiece and the remaining crypts in the front corners. Just my 02. Plenty of "Skilled" Underwater Gardeners here.
    @tfreema is one of the best.

Good Luck.

3. ElkwatcherValued MemberMember

Depending on how strong your LEDs are and how long you leave them on, I tend to put the anuria's and java ferns in area's where they don't receive a higher amount of light. Mine seem to grow better that way. You could also split the crypt and java fern to spread around. You picked a great selection!

4. tfreemaFishlore VIPMember

Great advice! And thanks for the compliment. I tend to get a basic hardscape and then start throwing in plants to fill in around that, lol. Then I move the plants around several times until I am happy with it.

I would definitely put the java fern on the wood. Pay attention to the law of thirds. Move the wood to about the 1/3 spot (a little to the right and forward). I agree with moving the sponge filter either to the left or right corner and putting some good wide leaf or thick bunch of crypts in front of it.

There is no one way to aquascape. Make it something YOU like and will enjoy.

How much sand is in there? It doesn't look very deep. With swords, you need a good depth for the root system. Plan to use root tabs.

Great start and awesome selection of plants. I cannot wait to see what you do with it.

5. RavynnWell Known MemberMember

There isn't a lot of.. "horizontal" space on the driftwood to attach the java fern; the wood is kind of flat and vertical. There's a hole in the front of it where I could stuff the fern there but otherwise I think i'd only have room to put them directly in front of the driftwood.

I knew something looked off, it was the driftwood being to the left side more.. I was focused on putting the sponge filter kind of off center instead. I sloped the sand, it's thinner in the front and might go to 2.5" in the back. I was also thinking about having the tiger lotus kind of to the left since the coconut hut will be on the right. Do you think the java fern or swords would be good to hide the sponge filter?

These are all great ideas. I'll hold off on moving the swords from my other tank until my new ones get delivered. Here are the swords in my 20 long.

[​IMG]

6. tfreemaFishlore VIPMember

Nice looking swords! Looks like you have the touch with those plants! That is a gorgeous tank.

As far as the java fern is concerned, just put what you can on the wood and keep in mind they don’t do well if the rhizome is buried. They do much better attached to something.

7. RavynnWell Known MemberMember

Hey, figured i'd update you with what I came up with. The color and brightness looks better in person, it's just my iPhone camera.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

8. tfreemaFishlore VIPMember

Very nice!

9. jmaldoWell Known MemberMember

:emoji_thumbsup:Looking Good.

10. midnaWell Known MemberMember

looks great!!

11. RavynnWell Known MemberMember

Thanks guys! Really happy with how it turned out :)