Plant on Coco fiber

1. KaiCrewger Initiate Member

Hey all, I've got a plant in an aquarium that I purchased already set up, and one of the plants in it is sprouting from the tips of its leaves. If anyone could identify the plant and also let me know if there's anything I should do for the sprouts that would be very helpful. (sorry for the fuzzy picture, my phone camera is not the greatest)

13343032_10154205340858582_6355044724164401957_n.jpg

2. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Bumping this up for you

3. Flowingfins Fishlore VIP Member

Looks like a java fern to me. They are very easy to grow and don't require fertilizers or high light. The new plantlets will break off when they're ready. You can tie them to pieces of decor in your tank.
    Welcome to the forum:)

4. aliray Fishlore VIP Member

I agree, java fern. Welcome to the forum and glad you joined us. Alison:;hi2

5. jetajockey Fishlore VIP Member

It's not java fern, it's bolbitis heteroclita. The leaves look like they are in emergent form. If you look closely, there are plantlets growing on the ends of some of the leaves.

6. KaiCrewger Initiate Member

Yeah, I was just wondering about the plantlets, will they eventually drop off like the fern, or is there something I should be doing about them?

7. jetajockey Fishlore VIP Member

They'll drop off eventually, but you could pull them off and replant them if you wanted to.