Plant Newbie Help

1. FishFor2018

FishFor2018 Well Known Member Member

Hello, i have a ten gallon tank with a docile betta and a mystery snail. The tank is next to a window. Right now i have an amazon sword in there and want to get some dwarf hairgrass. Will i need any extra lighting if the tank is next to a window? What is a good D.I.Y way to increase Co2 for the plants? stupid question but can "too much" Co2 hurt the fish? Any other tips will help!
    Thank You!

2. bryangar

bryangar Well Known Member Member

What substrate do you have? DHG needs a small grained substrate to spread runners.
    You shouldn’t let the sun hit the tank, it can cause the temperature to fluctuate too much and cause algae if exposed to the sun too often.
    What lighting do you currently have?

DHG and amazon swords can grow without Co2, It’ll grow slower but still grow, but you can look into a DIY co2 system. It can harm the fish by suffocating them. It also lowers Ph while it’s on, if you inject it.

Edit: if you leave it on 24/7 ^

3. OP
    OP
    FishFor2018

okay i think i will just skip adding Co2 then. I just have gravel i was thinking of doing sand, would that be better? The tank only gets 3 hours max of sunlight. I have just simple LED lights

Would a 20 watt fluorescent light help them grow better? will it be okay for fish and invertebrates?

4. bryangar

Yeah, sand would be better or a small grained gravel. If it’s a stock light that came with the tank, that cant really grow much.

I think that would be too much light. You can try it out and see if you get too much algae. The light wouldn’t affect the inhabitants.

5. OP
    OP
    FishFor2018

What watt light should i use then? or Should i do the 20 watt and just get some algae eaters?

6. bryangar

I would try the 20 watt but have the lights on for 4-5 hours to prevent algae.

7. OP
    OP
    FishFor2018

Okay I will. Thank you so much for your help!