Plant/moss That Stays Very Small?

1. P

PAND3MIC Valued Member Member

I have been looking into micro tanks and I was wondering what kind of plants or mosses I could put in a 1 gallon or less tank. I would like to find some plants that stay really small and are hardy, preferably some that don't require a large amount of light. I want to learn more about keeping plants through practice and I thought this would be a good solution. I don't have any specific preference of appearance of the plants, I just want to get an idea of some good plants to begin learning aquascaping. I can fulfill any water caretaking parameters through my experience with fish and CO2 injection seems simple enough, so I don't mind anything sensitive. I am new to plants, not aquaria.

Thanks all

2. Bailey Oswald

Bailey Oswald Well Known Member Member

Anubias nana petite, stays small. I love mine in my 5 gallon tank, you can purchase it already attached to driftwood or not. The rhizome can't be buried in substrate.
    I also like my Marimo moss balls. Really cute, fluffy plant.
    Picture is of my 5 gallon betta tank. Anubias nana petite in center, moss balls to the side. 17e4491518cf98d2642c75f229f17636.jpg

3. J

Jocelyn Adelman Fishlore VIP Member

Lower lighting
    Staurogene repens, anubias nana petite, there are also small varieties of Java fern whose leaves stay 2-3 inches.
    Better lighting:
    Monte Carlo and marsilea are good small carpeting options. Hydrocotyle triparta 'japan' is another....

4. Floundering_Around

Floundering_Around Well Known Member Member

Most plants that are carpeting plants will grow tall and spindly when they have low light in an effort to reach said light.

Pretty much any stem plant can be kept small through frequent trimmings but that's just extra work for you.
    My dwarf Sagittarius stays really low to the ground and I don't have any insane lighting. I'm running the stock lighting on my fluval spec 3 and a fluorescent bulb by aqueon on my 5.5 gallon tank

5. Culprit

Culprit Fishlore VIP Member

Tiniest plant in the aquascaping community is dwarf baby tears. However, you need high light and Co2. True anubias nana "petite" stays about the same size as a penny.

6. Mcasella

Mcasella Fishlore VIP Member

Anubias nana petite, or anubias pangolino both stay small and grow okay.

7. Culprit

Culprit Fishlore VIP Member

What about subsassertang? Honestly, if it was me, I would get a smaller size moss and just trim it.