Plant Like Pothos but not Poison

1. l

littleredridingmech Valued Member Member

Hi, I'm helping my grandma with her new betta and am looking for easy plants. We were thinking of Pothos, it's practically impossible to kill and has nice roots to make the betta happy. The only problem is that it's poisonous and she has dogs and cats that might take a curious bite and we don't want them sick or dead. Is there anything that's similar but won't kill her pets?

2. maggie thecat

maggie thecat Well Known Member Member

My cat ignores the pothos in my fishtank. She also ignores the peace lily. So you may find the danger over rated.

3. mg13

mg13 Well Known Member Member

HI! What size is your Betta tank? There are some really nice plants that are easy to care for and harmless to other animals, my question is do you have a lid? Betta fish are jumpers, and they can jump out of the tank and die if you do not have a lid on, if you do, how would the cat's and dogs get inside?

4. OP
    OP
    l

littleredridingmech Valued Member Member

I think you're overestimating her dogs at least, they'll try to get at anything on the counter lol

Don't worry, I'm not a beginner with bettas, it'll be a five gallon with a glass lid. There's a hole at the top for a filter that I figured I could put Pothos in because I'm using a sponge filter. The dogs could get to it because the leaves are outside the water. I think you're going to suggest anubias and such but I've got submerged plants down, I'm more looking for one with roots in the water and leaves above but without the light requirements of something like dwarf water lettuce or red root floaters.

5. jetajockey

jetajockey Fishlore VIP Member

Most plants will grow with their roots in water. Pineapples look pretty sweet once they start growing, just get a fresh one from the market, make sure the rosette hasn't been cored out and then go for it.